Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charge laid in Chilliwack, B.C., death

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2021 05:54 PM
  • Charge laid in Chilliwack, B.C., death

 A manslaughter charge has been laid after the death of a man in late December in Chilliwack, B.C.

A statement from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 45-year-old Carlton Leith died several days after he was injured Dec. 27 during a fight with another man.

A 42-year-old suspect was arrested shortly after the assault, and RCMP said the isolated incident did not pose a risk to the public.

William Escott remains in custody, charged with several offences, including manslaughter and aggravated assault.

Court records show he returns to court in Chilliwack on Monday.

Investigators are now appealing for other witnesses who have not yet come forward to do so.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver Police responds to an incident at an elementary school

Vancouver Police responds to an incident at an elementary school
The principal of the school called 9-1-1 at about 10 a.m. to report that a man, unknown to the school, entered the school and walked into a classroom

Vancouver Police responds to an incident at an elementary school

B.C. court hears closing arguments in 1983 murder

B.C. court hears closing arguments in 1983 murder
Phillip Tallio pleaded guilty to the second-degree murder of his 22-month-old cousin in 1983 but testified last month that he did not understand what that meant.

B.C. court hears closing arguments in 1983 murder

Meng could have been arrested on jetway: Mountie

Meng could have been arrested on jetway: Mountie
Const. Gurvinder Dhaliwal was in charge of documenting and securing anything seized from Meng in 2018 during the arrest, which put a chill on Canada's relations with China.

Meng could have been arrested on jetway: Mountie

Keystone XL 'not the same' as 2015 project: envoy

Keystone XL 'not the same' as 2015 project: envoy
President-elect Joe Biden has named Kerry, formerly Barack Obama's secretary of state, as a high-powered special adviser on climate change.

Keystone XL 'not the same' as 2015 project: envoy

Appeal Court rules against triple murderer

Appeal Court rules against triple murderer
Derek Saretzky's lawyer argued his client's first-degree murder conviction in the death of Hanne Meketech in 2015 should be overturned because Saretzky's rights were breached when police improperly took his confession.

Appeal Court rules against triple murderer

Abbotsford man arrested, for second time, after police called to gun incident

Abbotsford man arrested, for second time, after police called to gun incident
Officers respond to all firearm calls as though they are real until they can be otherwise determined to be replicas.

Abbotsford man arrested, for second time, after police called to gun incident