Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charge laid in Chilliwack, B.C., death

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2021 05:54 PM
  • Charge laid in Chilliwack, B.C., death

 A manslaughter charge has been laid after the death of a man in late December in Chilliwack, B.C.

A statement from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 45-year-old Carlton Leith died several days after he was injured Dec. 27 during a fight with another man.

A 42-year-old suspect was arrested shortly after the assault, and RCMP said the isolated incident did not pose a risk to the public.

William Escott remains in custody, charged with several offences, including manslaughter and aggravated assault.

Court records show he returns to court in Chilliwack on Monday.

Investigators are now appealing for other witnesses who have not yet come forward to do so.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Liberals name Shirley Bond interim leader

B.C. Liberals name Shirley Bond interim leader
Bond has been a member of the legislature since 2001, representing Prince George-Valemount, and served in cabinet, including as justice minister and deputy premier in the province's previous Liberal government.

B.C. Liberals name Shirley Bond interim leader

TransLink launching second round of public feedback for Burnaby Mountain Gondola

TransLink launching second round of public feedback for Burnaby Mountain Gondola
This round of engagement seeks public feedback on the evaluation and level of support for each of the three proposed routes, which will ultimately lead to a single preferred route.

TransLink launching second round of public feedback for Burnaby Mountain Gondola

Lawyer wants new evidence mulled in Tallio appeal

Lawyer wants new evidence mulled in Tallio appeal
Thomas Arbogast says Phillip Tallio pleaded guilty in 1983 based on "ineffective assistance" from his lawyer at the time.

Lawyer wants new evidence mulled in Tallio appeal

Surrey RCMP urging caution after robbery series involving theft of high-end gaming consoles

Surrey RCMP urging caution after robbery series involving theft of high-end gaming consoles
The suspects were described as three South Asian males. The Surrey RCMP Robbery Unit has assumed conduct of all three investigation and are working to identify the suspects.

Surrey RCMP urging caution after robbery series involving theft of high-end gaming consoles

Hearing continues in Meng Wanzhou extradition case

Hearing continues in Meng Wanzhou extradition case
B.C. Supreme Court heard last week the border officer who led Meng's immigration exam before her arrest doesn't believe RCMP asked him to collect the passcodes to her phones.

Hearing continues in Meng Wanzhou extradition case

RCMP boss responds to long-awaited watchdog report

RCMP boss responds to long-awaited watchdog report
Paul Champ, lawyer for the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association, received a letter Friday from Lucki confirming her response to the commission.

RCMP boss responds to long-awaited watchdog report