Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Driver killed after car plunged from second floor of UBC parkade building

Driver killed after car plunged from second floor of UBC parkade building
Police have confirmed the driver of a car that plunged off the second floor of a multi-storey parkade building at the University of British Columbia was killed in the crash. RCMP say the male driver of the vehicle was pronounced dead at the scene Wednesday after his car crashed through a concrete wall and landed at ground level.    

Driver killed after car plunged from second floor of UBC parkade building

Body found in Chilliwack home

Body found in Chilliwack home
B-C's Integrated Homicide Investigation Unit says officers were deployed to a Chilliwack home yesterday after a 66-year-old woman was found dead. It says officers also found a 37-year old man suffering non-life-threatening injuries and a 68-year-old man was arrested at the scene.

Body found in Chilliwack home

All Vancouver, Fraser Valley schools shut for second day as winter weather persists

All Vancouver, Fraser Valley schools shut for second day as winter weather persists
All public schools in Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley are shut for a second day, with more winter weather expected a day after a snowstorm caused havoc in southern British Columbia. Post-secondary institutions in the region such as the University of B.C., Simon Fraser University, the B.C. Institute of Technology and Kwantlen Polytechnic University have also cancelled all in-person classes again.

All Vancouver, Fraser Valley schools shut for second day as winter weather persists

Softwood spat due to housing shortage

Softwood spat due to housing shortage
Canada's international trade minister says the great North American softwood lumber standoff is putting a drag on the continent's already tight housing supply. Mary Ng says Ottawa will contest the U.S. International Trade Commission's latest decision to maintain "unjustified" duties on imports of Canadian softwood. 

Softwood spat due to housing shortage

Woman stabbed in Surrey

Woman stabbed in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey say they need help in finding a man who stabbed a woman. Police say the report came in last night of an attack on the woman by an unknown male.

Woman stabbed in Surrey

B.C.'s $36-billion hydro plan opens clean power economic opportunities, says premier

B.C.'s $36-billion hydro plan opens clean power economic opportunities, says premier
Premier David Eby says a planned 10-year, $36 billion expansion of British Columbia's electrical system will open economic opportunities and ensure ample power to supply the province's growing population. It's a 50 per cent increase in capital project investments by BC Hydro, the province's public energy utility, which Eby says will focus on increasing electrification and operations that reduce emissions across the province.

B.C.'s $36-billion hydro plan opens clean power economic opportunities, says premier