Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Claims process for First Nations child welfare class action opens in March, AFN says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Feb, 2025 01:54 PM
  • Claims process for First Nations child welfare class action opens in March, AFN says

The Assembly of First Nations says children and their families who lived under Canada's First Nations child welfare system from 1991 to 2022 can apply for a class action settlement starting in March.

National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak says the settlement is an acknowledgment of the harms First Nations people experienced under a "racist system that has broken so many lives and families."

In 2023, the Federal Court approved a $23 billion settlement to compensate some 300,000 First Nations children and their families for Canada's chronic underfunding of on-reserve child welfare services.

The settlement agreement followed a 2019 Canadian Human Rights Tribunal (CHRT) ruling that ordered Ottawa to pay the maximum penalty for discrimination — $40,000 — to each child inappropriately removed from their homes, as well as their parents or grandparents.

Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs Grand Chief Kyra Wilson says the claims process will be trauma-informed and claimants will not need to relive their experiences, as was the case with other First Nations-led class actions.

The first batch of claims will open March 10 and each claim is expected to take around six to 12 months to process.

MORE National ARTICLES

New robot assisted surgery coming for Burnaby General Hospital and Fraser Health

New robot assisted surgery coming for Burnaby General Hospital and Fraser Health
Burnaby Hospital and Fraser Health say a new robot assisted surgery system is set to be put into action, the first in Western Canada.  The Burnaby Hospital Foundation and the health authority say teams are now training on the Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted, a 2.3 three million dollar addition to the hospital's Jim Pattison Surgery Centre. 

New robot assisted surgery coming for Burnaby General Hospital and Fraser Health

Arrest made in last year's over 20M gold heist at Toronto's Pearson airport

Arrest made in last year's over 20M gold heist at Toronto's Pearson airport
Police have charged nine people in the Hollywood movie-worthy heist of nearly 24-million dollars in cash and gold one year ago today at Toronto's Pearson airport. They include two men who worked for Air Canada and an alleged gun trafficker.

Arrest made in last year's over 20M gold heist at Toronto's Pearson airport

B.C. construction sector seeks support as workers shortage, late payments persist

B.C. construction sector seeks support as workers shortage, late payments persist
British Columbia's construction industry says its workforce numbers have improved in recent years, but labour shortages persist and are putting "extreme pressures" on employers. The BC Construction Association says the shortage of qualified workers has pushed the average annual wage in the sector to just short of $75,000, up 21 per cent in the last five years.

B.C. construction sector seeks support as workers shortage, late payments persist

Burnaby man charged with 2nd degree murder

Burnaby man charged with 2nd degree murder
A Burnaby man has been charged with second-degree murder for his involvement in a stabbing in Vancouver earlier this month. Vancouver police say the 29-year-old suspect was arrested on April 4th, a day after a 49-year-old woman was found dead just north of Fraserview Golf Course.

Burnaby man charged with 2nd degree murder

B.C. man who pushed senior during dispute outside Costco loses manslaughter appeal

B.C. man who pushed senior during dispute outside Costco loses manslaughter appeal
The B.C. Court of Appeal has upheld the manslaughter conviction of a man who claimed he lashed out in self defence, in part because of his claustrophobia, resulting in an elderly man's death at a Vancouver Costco in 2017.  A ruling released Monday says Thomas Toth was convicted of manslaughter in 2020, three years after he got into a physical altercation with 86-year-old Orlando Ocampo "that had tragic consequences." 

B.C. man who pushed senior during dispute outside Costco loses manslaughter appeal

B.C. to add 240 complex-care housing units in communities throughout the province

B.C. to add 240 complex-care housing units in communities throughout the province
British Columbia is planning to add 240 new units to its complex-care housing program, providing homes for people with mental-health and addictions challenges that overlap with other serious conditions. The Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions says in a statement 200 of the units will be located in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kamloops, Kelowna, Nanaimo, New Westminster, Prince George, Sechelt, Surrey, Vancouver and Victoria.

B.C. to add 240 complex-care housing units in communities throughout the province