Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Claims process for First Nations child welfare class action opens in March, AFN says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Feb, 2025 01:54 PM
  • Claims process for First Nations child welfare class action opens in March, AFN says

The Assembly of First Nations says children and their families who lived under Canada's First Nations child welfare system from 1991 to 2022 can apply for a class action settlement starting in March.

National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak says the settlement is an acknowledgment of the harms First Nations people experienced under a "racist system that has broken so many lives and families."

In 2023, the Federal Court approved a $23 billion settlement to compensate some 300,000 First Nations children and their families for Canada's chronic underfunding of on-reserve child welfare services.

The settlement agreement followed a 2019 Canadian Human Rights Tribunal (CHRT) ruling that ordered Ottawa to pay the maximum penalty for discrimination — $40,000 — to each child inappropriately removed from their homes, as well as their parents or grandparents.

Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs Grand Chief Kyra Wilson says the claims process will be trauma-informed and claimants will not need to relive their experiences, as was the case with other First Nations-led class actions.

The first batch of claims will open March 10 and each claim is expected to take around six to 12 months to process.

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP in Coquitlam search for vehicle submerged in Fraser River

RCMP in Coquitlam search for vehicle submerged in Fraser River
Police in Metro Vancouver say an underwater recovery team is working to locate a vehicle submerged in the Fraser River and determine whether it was occupied. Coquitlam RCMP say they received a report of a vehicle in the water by the boat launch at Maquabeak Park, near the Port Mann Bridge, shortly after 12:15 a.m. on Saturday.

RCMP in Coquitlam search for vehicle submerged in Fraser River

Two teens killed in head-on crash in northern B.C., RCMP seek information

Two teens killed in head-on crash in northern B.C., RCMP seek information
Mounties in northern British Columbia are asking for any information about a head-on crash that killed two teenagers and seriously injured another man. A statement from RCMP in Chetwynd, northeast of Prince George, says officers responded to the crash along Highway 97 just after midnight on Sunday.

Two teens killed in head-on crash in northern B.C., RCMP seek information

Highway 3 crash kills both drivers

Highway 3 crash kills both drivers
Mounties in southeastern B-C say a head-on crash on Highway 3 has killed the drivers in both vehicles.  It happened near the community of Kitchener, northeast of Creston, yesterday afternoon when one vehicle crossed the centre line. 

Highway 3 crash kills both drivers

Spike in jobless rate: Stat Can

Spike in jobless rate: Stat Can
While Canada’s jobless rate jumped to 6.1 per cent in March, BC gained more jobs.  BC and Ontario were the only two provinces to report an increase in jobs last month, with 66-hundred more people employed in this province. 

Spike in jobless rate: Stat Can

Police 'deeply concerned' for infant allegedly taken by mother in Langley, B.C.

Police 'deeply concerned' for infant allegedly taken by mother in Langley, B.C.
RCMP say they're "deeply concerned" for the safety of an infant allegedly taken by his mother from a home in Langley, B.C.  Police set off an Amber Alert late Thursday after three-month-old Tyler Durocher was allegedly abducted from a home by his mother, 35-year-old Brianne Ford. 

Police 'deeply concerned' for infant allegedly taken by mother in Langley, B.C.

177 die in toxic drug deaths

177 die in toxic drug deaths
The BC Coroners Service says 177 people died in February due to "toxic, unregulated drugs." The service says at least 175 people have died because of the toxic drug supply in each of the last 20 consecutive months.

177 die in toxic drug deaths