Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Close Call: Saskatoon Man Hit In Face By Axe Flying Through Windshield

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 May, 2018 11:44 AM
    SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man says he was cut on the forehead and suffered a concussion after an axe came flying through his truck's windshield.
     
     
    Mackenzie Peddle says he doesn't remember getting hit in the face while he was driving home to Saskatoon from Yorkton, Sask., earlier this month.
     
     
    He says when he came to, the truck's windshield was shattered, there was an axe lying near him and blood was spattered over his face and seats.
     
     
    Peddle says he must have passed out after somehow managing to pull over to the side of Highway 16 near the community of Plunkett.
     
     
    The electrician says his foot was on the brake and the truck was still in gear when a passerby approached.
     
     
    RCMP say they are investigating but have no leads as to where the axe came from.
     
     
    "A lady pulled over and woke me up on the side of the road. I didn't really know what happened or how long I'd been out," Peddle told CKOM Radio. 
     
     
    He credits the sunglasses he was wearing for saving his eye from the axe blade.
     
     
    Peddle said he managed to phone RCMP and take some photos of the damage to his face and truck.
     
     
    An officer arrived and took his own photos, then drove up and down the highway to see if any other debris had fallen off a vehicle.
     
     
    "He went around to the farms and farmhouses, but no one had seen anything," Peddle said.
     
     
    Humboldt RCMP said Tuesday they were looking for the public's help in the investigation.
     
     
    Peddle said it's not the first time something has flown through his windshield while he was driving on the highway.
     
     
    He said about a decade ago, he was driving his car when a long piece of rebar fell off a truck, bounced off the pavement and pierced the windshield on the driver's side — missing him by inches.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Canadian Grocers Make $3m Per Year From Penny-Rounding: UBC Study

    Canadian Grocers Make $3m Per Year From Penny-Rounding: UBC Study
    VANCOUVER — Grocery stores across the country are cashing in on the demise of the penny, according to a young researcher at the University of British Columbia.

    Canadian Grocers Make $3m Per Year From Penny-Rounding: UBC Study

    Warning Issued After Violent East Vancouver Sex Assault

    Warning Issued After Violent East Vancouver Sex Assault
    The assault was reported to police on December 14th. A woman in her 20s was walking on Matheson Crescent towards SE Marine Drive when she was grabbed from behind by an unknown man with a knife.

    Warning Issued After Violent East Vancouver Sex Assault

    B.C. Ends Grizzly Bear Hunt, Calls It 'No Longer Socially Acceptable'

    B.C. Ends Grizzly Bear Hunt, Calls It 'No Longer Socially Acceptable'
    The B.C. government says public consultations have made it clear that killing grizzlies is no longer socially acceptable.

    B.C. Ends Grizzly Bear Hunt, Calls It 'No Longer Socially Acceptable'

    Surrey RCMP Releases Its 10 Most Wanted List For The Holidays

    Surrey RCMP Releases Its 10 Most Wanted List For The Holidays
    Surrey RCMP is asking for the public’s help with any information that will lead to the apprehension of our top ten most wanted prolific offenders ahead of the holiday season.

    Surrey RCMP Releases Its 10 Most Wanted List For The Holidays

    Site C Was Tough Decision, Now It's Time To Make Best Use Of Project: Minister

    Site C Was Tough Decision, Now It's Time To Make Best Use Of Project: Minister
    VICTORIA — He was one of staunchest critics of the Site C dam, but George Heyman found himself in the uncomfortable position this week of supporting a plan to complete the $10.7 billion megaproject.

    Site C Was Tough Decision, Now It's Time To Make Best Use Of Project: Minister

    Harvey Weinstein Lawyers Seek To Identify Ontario Woman Behind Lawsuit

    Harvey Weinstein Lawyers Seek To Identify Ontario Woman Behind Lawsuit
    TORONTO — Lawyers for Harvey Weinstein are seeking to publicly identify an Ontario actress who has filed a sexual assault lawsuit against the disgraced Hollywood producer.

    Harvey Weinstein Lawyers Seek To Identify Ontario Woman Behind Lawsuit