Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

Carney meets with Chinese President Xi Jinping

Carney meets with Chinese President Xi Jinping
Prime Minister Mark Carney met with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.

Carney meets with Chinese President Xi Jinping

Campbell-era minister Iain Black joining B.C. Conservative leadership race

Campbell-era minister Iain Black joining B.C. Conservative leadership race
Iain Black, a former minister in the British Columbia government of Gordon Campbell, is joining the race to lead the provincial Conservatives.

Campbell-era minister Iain Black joining B.C. Conservative leadership race

Five topics other than trade that could come up during Carney's China visit

Five topics other than trade that could come up during Carney's China visit
Prime Minister Mark Carney is in Beijing this week for meetings with President Xi Jinping and other officials. Upon arriving in China Wednesday, Carney said he was "ready to build a new partnership" with the country.

Five topics other than trade that could come up during Carney's China visit

B.C. and feds enter lumber understanding with China during Carney visit

B.C. and feds enter lumber understanding with China during Carney visit
British Columbia's Forests Ministry has entered into a memorandum of understanding with the Chinese government to boost research, development and promotion of modern wood construction in creating green buildings in China.

B.C. and feds enter lumber understanding with China during Carney visit

Schools closed, commuters facing delays as heavy snow blankets southern Ontario

Schools closed, commuters facing delays as heavy snow blankets southern Ontario
Schools were closed and commuters faced severe delays on Thursday morning as heavy snow continued to hammer much of southern Ontario, blocking streets and forcing cars into ditches. 

Schools closed, commuters facing delays as heavy snow blankets southern Ontario

Canadian citizen has died in Iran as anti-government protests continue: Anand

Canadian citizen has died in Iran as anti-government protests continue: Anand
Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand says a Canadian citizen has died in Iran as anti-government protests continue across the country. 

Canadian citizen has died in Iran as anti-government protests continue: Anand