Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

Timeline of B.C.'s three-year drug decriminalization pilot project

Timeline of B.C.'s three-year drug decriminalization pilot project
British Columbia's three-year pilot project that decriminalized the possession of small amounts of illicit drugs for personal use is set to end on Jan. 31. 

Timeline of B.C.'s three-year drug decriminalization pilot project

Carney: Canada entering ‘new era’ in relationship with Beijing

Carney: Canada entering ‘new era’ in relationship with Beijing
Canada is entering a “new era of relations” with China and the stage is set for talks on ways the two countries can be “strategic partners," Prime Minister Mark Carney said Thursday.

Carney: Canada entering ‘new era’ in relationship with Beijing

48-year-old punjabi businessman shot dead near his farm in Surrey

48-year-old punjabi businessman shot dead near his farm in Surrey
A prominent Punjabi businessman was shot dead in broad daylight in Surrey, British Columbia. The victim has been identified as Binder Garcha, a 48 year old local businessman and owner of Studio 12 Banquet Hall.

48-year-old punjabi businessman shot dead near his farm in Surrey

2025 was the third warmest year on record. What does that mean in Canada?

2025 was the third warmest year on record. What does that mean in Canada?
This past year was the third warmest on record and stood on the cusp of surpassing a major climate threshold globally, according to new data from the European climate agency.

2025 was the third warmest year on record. What does that mean in Canada?

A timeline of a turbulent decade in the Canada-China relationship

A timeline of a turbulent decade in the Canada-China relationship
Prime Minister Mark Carney is visiting China this week — part of his government's efforts to repair the bilateral relationship after years of tensions over national security, trade and the detention of two Canadians. 

A timeline of a turbulent decade in the Canada-China relationship

A timeline of Quebec Premier François Legault's political career as he resigns

A timeline of Quebec Premier François Legault's political career as he resigns
François Legault announced on Wednesday he will step down as Quebec premier when the Coalition Avenir Québec — the party he co-founded in 2011 — chooses his replacement. The departure of Legault, who had also co-founded Air Transat and was its CEO between 1986 and 1997, brings to an end a political career spanning 28 years with two political parties.

A timeline of Quebec Premier François Legault's political career as he resigns