Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 May, 2026 02:16 PM
  • Council approves next stage of King George Boulevard BRT

On Monday, City Council voted to move Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) on King George Boulevard, one of the region’s busiest north-south corridors, into the full design stage.  

 “As the city grows and our roads become more congested, residents need more rapid transit now,” said Mayor Brenda Locke. “Council’s decision moves us closer to becoming one of the first cities in B.C. to deliver BRT — a fast, reliable, and high-capacity transit system connecting City Centre, Newton and South Surrey.” 

The King George Boulevard BRT will run from Surrey City Centre to Semiahmoo Town Centre along a 19‑kilometre corridor with 12 stations and dedicated bus lanes along most of the route. Public consultation conducted earlier this year by TransLink showed strong community support for the project, with 84 per cent of respondents saying it will improve transportation. 

"As Surrey continues to grow, we need transit solutions now that move more people efficiently and reliably," says TransLink CEO Kevin Quinn. "BRT is the best solution for King George Boulevard because it can be implemented quickly and cost-effectively to manage congestion, strengthen connections between town centres, and support the city's long-term growth." 

TransLink has selected Surrey to host a BRT pilot station near Holland Park and the King George SkyTrain Station. The pilot will test the station design in real-world conditions before broader rollout, including near-level boarding, real-time information, improved lighting, and weather protection, using existing bus service. 

Council’s decision to advance BRT is a major step toward building a more connected city and delivering a cost-effective sustainable transportation system that meets the needs of Surrey’s growing population.  

To learn more about the King George Boulevard BRT project, visit surrey.ca/BRT

MORE National ARTICLES

Homicide probe after man found shot dead in street in Surrey, B.C.

Homicide probe after man found shot dead in street in Surrey, B.C.
Police in Surrey, B.C., are investigating a homicide in the Metro Vancouver city after a man was found dead in the street.

Homicide probe after man found shot dead in street in Surrey, B.C.

Almost one in three Canadians say U.S. might try to invade Canada: poll

Almost one in three Canadians say U.S. might try to invade Canada: poll
Following the recent U.S. military intervention in Venezuela, a new poll suggests almost a third of Canadians say the United States might attempt "direct action" to take control of Canada.

Almost one in three Canadians say U.S. might try to invade Canada: poll

Police investigate three unsolved hit-and-runs in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside

Police investigate three unsolved hit-and-runs in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside
Police in Vancouver say they're investigating three unsolved hit-and-run collisions in the city's Downtown Eastside neighbourhood since last Nov. 27.

Police investigate three unsolved hit-and-runs in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside

Almost 300 millimetres of rain on Vancouver Island in three-day drenching

Almost 300 millimetres of rain on Vancouver Island in three-day drenching
Flood warnings and watches on British Columbia's south coast have been downgraded or rescinded in the wake of an atmospheric river event that dumped almost 300 millimetres of rain on parts of Vancouver Island over the last few days.

Almost 300 millimetres of rain on Vancouver Island in three-day drenching

School bus rolls off Manitoba highway, 14 students and driver sent to hospital

School bus rolls off Manitoba highway, 14 students and driver sent to hospital
A Manitoba school division says 14 students and a driver were taken to hospital after a bus rolled off a highway near the Saskatchewan boundary.

School bus rolls off Manitoba highway, 14 students and driver sent to hospital

Feds to contribute money to the fight against extortion in southern Ontario

Feds to contribute money to the fight against extortion in southern Ontario
The federal government says it will give Peel Regional Police up to $1 million to support the force's efforts to fight extortion, provide services to victims and build on the work of a task force.

Feds to contribute money to the fight against extortion in southern Ontario