Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Dec, 2024 12:26 PM
  • Court hits pause on global streamers’ upcoming Canadian content payments

The Federal Court of Appeal says big streaming companies won't have to pay for Canadian content until the court hears their appeal of a CRTC decision ordering them to pay. 

In June, the CRTC said that foreign streamers must contribute five per cent of their annual Canadian revenues to a fund devoted to producing Canadian content, including local TV and radio news.

Big global streamers like Netflix and Disney Plus launched court challenges of that order, which the regulator made under the Online Streaming Act.

Earlier this month, the Federal Court of Appeal agreed to hear the case.

A judge said Monday the streamers won't have to make the payments, estimated to be at least $1.25 million each annually, until that court process plays out.

The parties have agreed to an expedited schedule, meaning the court hearing would take place in June before the bulk of the money is due in August.

The court decision notes that Amazon, Apple and Spotify have argued that if they make the payments, win the appeal and overturn the CRTC decision, they wouldn’t be able to recover the money. 

Justice Wyman Webb says having an accelerated schedule "mitigates the inconvenience arising from a possible delay in the payment," due on Aug. 31, 2025.

In a statement, the CRTC says that the Online Streaming Act, which became law in 2023, "requires the CRTC to modernize the Canadian broadcasting framework." 

The regulator said it would "continue to balance consulting widely with moving quickly to build the new regulatory framework."

Kevin Desjardins, president of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, says the organization is disappointed but "optimistic that the Court and all parties recognize the importance of resolving these matters…expeditiously, so that urgently needed funding for Canadian news and other production can flow back into our media system next year."

MORE National ARTICLES

Postmedia selling the Winnipeg Sun, the Graphic Leader, and Kenora Miner & News

Postmedia selling the Winnipeg Sun, the Graphic Leader, and Kenora Miner & News
Postmedia Network Canada Corp. says it has signed a deal to sell the Winnipeg Sun, the Graphic Leader, and Kenora Miner & News newspapers to the Klein Group Ltd.  Included in the transaction is Postmedia’s Winnipeg commercial print division, all associated digital properties, contracts and other related parts of the businesses.

Postmedia selling the Winnipeg Sun, the Graphic Leader, and Kenora Miner & News

Canada mulls Chinese EV tariff following U.S. move but is not committing to it

Canada mulls Chinese EV tariff following U.S. move but is not committing to it
Canada is looking at the massive new U.S. import tariffs on Chinese-made electric vehicles imposed by President Joe Biden earlier this month, but is not making any commitment to following suit north of the border. Chinese brands are not a major player in Canada's EV market at the moment but imports from China have exploded in the last year as Tesla switched from U.S. factories for its Canadian sales to its manufacturing plant in Shanghai.

Canada mulls Chinese EV tariff following U.S. move but is not committing to it

Miller increases cap on applications for Palestinians to join relatives in Canada

Miller increases cap on applications for Palestinians to join relatives in Canada
Immigration Minister Marc Miller is increasing the number of applications that will be processed under a much-criticized program to reunite Palestinians with Canadian relatives. The move comes as he testifies about measures introduced months ago that were meant to bring relatives of Canadians from conflict zones in the Gaza Strip and Sudan to safety.

Miller increases cap on applications for Palestinians to join relatives in Canada

As Canada warms, infectious disease risks spread north

As Canada warms, infectious disease risks spread north
It was 15 years ago that Ontario student Justin Wood started feeling sick. When it came, the diagnosis was a rare one: Lyme disease. At the time, the tick-borne illness was only responsible for a few hundred infections a year in Canada, according to government statistics. But cases of Lyme disease have now increased more than 1,000 per cent in a decade as the warming climate pushes the boundaries of a range of pathogens and risk factors northward.

As Canada warms, infectious disease risks spread north

Fort Nelson, B.C., evacuees heading home after wildfire evacuation order ends

Fort Nelson, B.C., evacuees heading home after wildfire evacuation order ends
Residents in Fort Nelson are returning home after being evacuated from the community for more than two weeks due to wildfires. The Northern Rockies Regional Municipality and the Fort Nelson First Nation jointly rescinded their evacuation orders at 8 a.m. Monday, lifting roadblocks and clearing the way for people to go home.

Fort Nelson, B.C., evacuees heading home after wildfire evacuation order ends

Surrey business robbed

Surrey business robbed
Mounties in Surrey are hoping to speak with anyone with dashcam footage of the 9200 block of 120 Street on Friday evening after a business was robbed at gunpoint. Police say two men wearing masks entered the unnamed business with what appeared to be firearms, spoke with one of the employees, and stole a cellphone as they walked out.

Surrey business robbed