Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jul, 2022 03:04 PM
  • COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

GENEVA (AP) — The number of new coronavirus cases reported worldwide rose for the fifth week in a row while the number of deaths remained relatively stable, the World Health Organization reported Thursday.

In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

Earlier this week, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic still qualifies as a global emergency and he was “concerned” about the recent spike.

“The virus is running freely, and countries are not effectively managing the disease burden,” he said during a Tuesday press briefing. “New waves of the virus demonstrate again that COVID-19 is nowhere near over.”

In the last two weeks, cases of COVID-19 reported to WHO surged 30%, driven largely by the hugely infectious omicron relatives, BA.4 and BA.5. The two omicron subvariants have shown a worrisome ability to re-infect people previously vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID.

According to WHO, the biggest increases in COVID-19 cases were seen in the Western Pacific and the Middle East, where they jumped by more than a quarter. Deaths spiked by 78% in the Middle East and by 23% in Southeast Asia, while dropping elsewhere or remaining stable.

WHO said that relaxed COVID-19 surveillance and testing programs in numerous countries have complicated efforts to track the virus and to catch any potentially dangerous new variants.

In the U.S. , the new omicron variants have pushed up hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks, prompting some cities and states to rethink their approaches. White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha, during a Wednesday TV appearance, called for booster shots and renewed vigilance against the virus.

The White House response team has also urged all adults 50 and older to urgently get a booster if they haven’t yet this year — and dissuaded people from waiting for the next generation of shots expected in the fall.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada vows to fast-track immigration from Ukraine

Canada vows to fast-track immigration from Ukraine
Canada has promised to prioritize immigration applications from Ukraine to bring people fleeing the country to safety as quickly as possible. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also announced the creation of a new hotline Thursday, "for anyone at home or abroad with urgent Ukraine-related immigration questions."    

Canada vows to fast-track immigration from Ukraine

Documents: PM warned about 'build back better'

Documents: PM warned about 'build back better'
The idea of strengthening economic shortfalls unearthed by the pandemic has become a rallying cry for Canada and many of its allies, such as the United States.

Documents: PM warned about 'build back better'

Canada to match Red Cross donations for Ukraine

Canada to match Red Cross donations for Ukraine
The campaign, which is to begin today and run until March 18, will see the government match donations by Canadians dollar for dollar to a maximum of $10 million, says a senior government official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss matters not yet public.    

Canada to match Red Cross donations for Ukraine

Canada's pandemic future still uncertain, Tam says

Canada's pandemic future still uncertain, Tam says
Dr. Theresa Tam says she hopes Canada is past the pandemic crisis and is now in a transition phase, headed toward recovery. She says Canada must still be ready to bring some public health measures back if cases begin to shoot up again.

Canada's pandemic future still uncertain, Tam says

B.C. premier to make swearing-in announcement

B.C. premier to make swearing-in announcement
A statement from the premier's office provides few details about the nature of the announcement other than to confirm Horgan will be available to answer questions after the swearing-in.

B.C. premier to make swearing-in announcement

Suspect enters fast food restaurant in Surrey and takes off with cash register

Suspect enters fast food restaurant in Surrey and takes off with cash register
Staff from the restaurant immediately called 911, as they observed the suspect depart and noted his direction of travel. The suspect allegedly stopped and threatened the staff members with a weapon.

Suspect enters fast food restaurant in Surrey and takes off with cash register