Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jul, 2022 03:04 PM
  • COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

GENEVA (AP) — The number of new coronavirus cases reported worldwide rose for the fifth week in a row while the number of deaths remained relatively stable, the World Health Organization reported Thursday.

In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

Earlier this week, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic still qualifies as a global emergency and he was “concerned” about the recent spike.

“The virus is running freely, and countries are not effectively managing the disease burden,” he said during a Tuesday press briefing. “New waves of the virus demonstrate again that COVID-19 is nowhere near over.”

In the last two weeks, cases of COVID-19 reported to WHO surged 30%, driven largely by the hugely infectious omicron relatives, BA.4 and BA.5. The two omicron subvariants have shown a worrisome ability to re-infect people previously vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID.

According to WHO, the biggest increases in COVID-19 cases were seen in the Western Pacific and the Middle East, where they jumped by more than a quarter. Deaths spiked by 78% in the Middle East and by 23% in Southeast Asia, while dropping elsewhere or remaining stable.

WHO said that relaxed COVID-19 surveillance and testing programs in numerous countries have complicated efforts to track the virus and to catch any potentially dangerous new variants.

In the U.S. , the new omicron variants have pushed up hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks, prompting some cities and states to rethink their approaches. White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha, during a Wednesday TV appearance, called for booster shots and renewed vigilance against the virus.

The White House response team has also urged all adults 50 and older to urgently get a booster if they haven’t yet this year — and dissuaded people from waiting for the next generation of shots expected in the fall.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau condemns Russia's attack on Ukraine

Trudeau condemns Russia's attack on Ukraine
Trudeau said he would be meeting Thursday with G7 partners and would work quickly with NATO and Canada's allies "to collectively respond to these reckless and dangerous acts, including by imposing significant sanctions in addition to those already announced."

Trudeau condemns Russia's attack on Ukraine

Ottawa approves made-in-Canada COVID vaccine

Ottawa approves made-in-Canada COVID vaccine
Health Canada says its effectiveness and safety in those under 18 and over 64 have "not yet been established." Clinical trials suggested the vaccine was 71 per cent effective in protecting against COVID-19 one week after the second dose. The dosing schedule is 21 days apart.

Ottawa approves made-in-Canada COVID vaccine

Joly calls Russian envoy on carpet over Ukraine

Joly calls Russian envoy on carpet over Ukraine
The meeting at the Lester B. Pearson Building in Ottawa took place as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was meeting virtually Thursday with G7 partners to discuss a response. Trudeau said before the meeting that Russia’s actions will be met with severe consequences.

Joly calls Russian envoy on carpet over Ukraine

799 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

799 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are 653 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 in B.C., and 108 are in intensive care.

799 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Emergencies Act no longer needed: Trudeau

Emergencies Act no longer needed: Trudeau
Trudeau invoked the Emergencies Act, which replaced the War Measures Act in 1988, for the first time last week, saying police needed extra help to end protests against COVID-19 restrictions that had occupied downtown Ottawa for weeks and spread to key Canada-U.S. border crossings.

Emergencies Act no longer needed: Trudeau

Feds commit $140M to keep temporary veterans staff

Feds commit $140M to keep temporary veterans staff
Today’s funding announcement comes after The Canadian Press reported earlier this month that the government was poised to lose hundreds of temporary staff next month.

Feds commit $140M to keep temporary veterans staff