Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jul, 2022 03:04 PM
  • COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

GENEVA (AP) — The number of new coronavirus cases reported worldwide rose for the fifth week in a row while the number of deaths remained relatively stable, the World Health Organization reported Thursday.

In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

Earlier this week, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic still qualifies as a global emergency and he was “concerned” about the recent spike.

“The virus is running freely, and countries are not effectively managing the disease burden,” he said during a Tuesday press briefing. “New waves of the virus demonstrate again that COVID-19 is nowhere near over.”

In the last two weeks, cases of COVID-19 reported to WHO surged 30%, driven largely by the hugely infectious omicron relatives, BA.4 and BA.5. The two omicron subvariants have shown a worrisome ability to re-infect people previously vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID.

According to WHO, the biggest increases in COVID-19 cases were seen in the Western Pacific and the Middle East, where they jumped by more than a quarter. Deaths spiked by 78% in the Middle East and by 23% in Southeast Asia, while dropping elsewhere or remaining stable.

WHO said that relaxed COVID-19 surveillance and testing programs in numerous countries have complicated efforts to track the virus and to catch any potentially dangerous new variants.

In the U.S. , the new omicron variants have pushed up hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks, prompting some cities and states to rethink their approaches. White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha, during a Wednesday TV appearance, called for booster shots and renewed vigilance against the virus.

The White House response team has also urged all adults 50 and older to urgently get a booster if they haven’t yet this year — and dissuaded people from waiting for the next generation of shots expected in the fall.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa mulls closing street in front of Parliament

Ottawa mulls closing street in front of Parliament
Downtown Ottawa Coun. Catherine McKenney has floated the idea of working with federal officials and the community to close Wellington Street, which runs directly along Parliament Hill, to all vehicles except public transit, pedestrians and cyclists.    

Ottawa mulls closing street in front of Parliament

Stabbing at a local Surrey high school leaves two teens injured

Stabbing at a local Surrey high school leaves two teens injured
Surrey RCMP say they responded to reports of a stabbing on the school grounds Tuesday afternoon. They say in a news release that teenagers were found with non-life-threatening injuries and taken to hospital.

Stabbing at a local Surrey high school leaves two teens injured

Tories end boycott of national security committee

Tories end boycott of national security committee
Interim Conservative leader Candice Bergen announced the reversal on Tuesday, saying she was writing to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to have Tory MPs Michelle Rempel Garner and Rob Morrison appointed to the committee.

Tories end boycott of national security committee

US fires shot across Canada's bow over digital tax

US fires shot across Canada's bow over digital tax
Canada's proposal, which includes a three per cent tax worth $3.4 billion in revenue over five years, would only take effect in 2024 if those efforts don't come to pass.

US fires shot across Canada's bow over digital tax

2,103 COVID19 cases over 4 days

2,103 COVID19 cases over 4 days
There are 688 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 108 are in intensive care. In the past 96 hours, 44 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,830.    

2,103 COVID19 cases over 4 days

Canada and the Russia-Ukraine conflict

Canada and the Russia-Ukraine conflict
Putin on Monday announced the deployment of Russian troops into two separatist regions on his country’s border with Ukraine, Donetsk and Luhansk. Both regions have already suffered eight years of war after Russia began providing weapons, ammunition and in some cases clandestine troops to separatist rebels in 2014. 

Canada and the Russia-Ukraine conflict