Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jul, 2022 03:04 PM
  • COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

GENEVA (AP) — The number of new coronavirus cases reported worldwide rose for the fifth week in a row while the number of deaths remained relatively stable, the World Health Organization reported Thursday.

In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

Earlier this week, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic still qualifies as a global emergency and he was “concerned” about the recent spike.

“The virus is running freely, and countries are not effectively managing the disease burden,” he said during a Tuesday press briefing. “New waves of the virus demonstrate again that COVID-19 is nowhere near over.”

In the last two weeks, cases of COVID-19 reported to WHO surged 30%, driven largely by the hugely infectious omicron relatives, BA.4 and BA.5. The two omicron subvariants have shown a worrisome ability to re-infect people previously vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID.

According to WHO, the biggest increases in COVID-19 cases were seen in the Western Pacific and the Middle East, where they jumped by more than a quarter. Deaths spiked by 78% in the Middle East and by 23% in Southeast Asia, while dropping elsewhere or remaining stable.

WHO said that relaxed COVID-19 surveillance and testing programs in numerous countries have complicated efforts to track the virus and to catch any potentially dangerous new variants.

In the U.S. , the new omicron variants have pushed up hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks, prompting some cities and states to rethink their approaches. White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha, during a Wednesday TV appearance, called for booster shots and renewed vigilance against the virus.

The White House response team has also urged all adults 50 and older to urgently get a booster if they haven’t yet this year — and dissuaded people from waiting for the next generation of shots expected in the fall.

MORE National ARTICLES

Carjackings in Burnaby involved knives and guns being waved at victims

Carjackings in Burnaby involved knives and guns being waved at victims
Three of the four incidents targeted drivers from an unregulated Chinese ridesharing app. In each of the incidents a weapon was brandished, but none of the victims were injured.    

Carjackings in Burnaby involved knives and guns being waved at victims

B.C.'s Interior Health to restart surgeries

B.C.'s Interior Health to restart surgeries
The announcement from Interior Health comes as the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 in B.C. continues to decline, at 733 on Friday from 744 the previous day.    

B.C.'s Interior Health to restart surgeries

692 COVID19 cases for Friday

692 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are 733 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 113 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, 5 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,786.

692 COVID19 cases for Friday

Downtown Eastside shooting lands one in hospital with serious injuries

Downtown Eastside shooting lands one in hospital with serious injuries
Multiple 9-1-1 callers reported hearing gun shots near East Cordova and Carrall streets at around 8:45 p.m. February 16. One person was taken to hospital for serious injuries.

Downtown Eastside shooting lands one in hospital with serious injuries

Victims scammed by Facebook Marketplace

Victims scammed by Facebook Marketplace
Suspects posted items for sale and arranged meetings with potential buyers. Victims then agreed to e-transfer payment prior to meeting the suspects, who suddenly stopped communicating with the victims and never showed up to exchange goods.

Victims scammed by Facebook Marketplace

Ottawa police arrest 70 in sweeping operation

Ottawa police arrest 70 in sweeping operation
Interim chief Steve Bell says the plan is "deliberate and methodical" and police are in control on the ground, but clearing the area will take time. Police began enforcing against the protest on Thursday night, setting up about 100 checkpoints and arresting key organizers.

Ottawa police arrest 70 in sweeping operation