Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jul, 2022 03:04 PM
  • COVID-19 cases rise for the 5th week, deaths stable

GENEVA (AP) — The number of new coronavirus cases reported worldwide rose for the fifth week in a row while the number of deaths remained relatively stable, the World Health Organization reported Thursday.

In the U.N. health agency’s weekly review of the COVID-19 pandemic, WHO said there were 5.7 million new infections confirmed last week, marking a 6% increase. There were 9.800 deaths, roughly similar to the previous week’s figure.

Earlier this week, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the pandemic still qualifies as a global emergency and he was “concerned” about the recent spike.

“The virus is running freely, and countries are not effectively managing the disease burden,” he said during a Tuesday press briefing. “New waves of the virus demonstrate again that COVID-19 is nowhere near over.”

In the last two weeks, cases of COVID-19 reported to WHO surged 30%, driven largely by the hugely infectious omicron relatives, BA.4 and BA.5. The two omicron subvariants have shown a worrisome ability to re-infect people previously vaccinated or who have recovered from COVID.

According to WHO, the biggest increases in COVID-19 cases were seen in the Western Pacific and the Middle East, where they jumped by more than a quarter. Deaths spiked by 78% in the Middle East and by 23% in Southeast Asia, while dropping elsewhere or remaining stable.

WHO said that relaxed COVID-19 surveillance and testing programs in numerous countries have complicated efforts to track the virus and to catch any potentially dangerous new variants.

In the U.S. , the new omicron variants have pushed up hospitalizations and deaths in recent weeks, prompting some cities and states to rethink their approaches. White House COVID-19 coordinator Dr. Ashish Jha, during a Wednesday TV appearance, called for booster shots and renewed vigilance against the virus.

The White House response team has also urged all adults 50 and older to urgently get a booster if they haven’t yet this year — and dissuaded people from waiting for the next generation of shots expected in the fall.

MORE National ARTICLES

Former boyfriend of Surrey teen Kiran Dhesi pleads guilty to her murder

Former boyfriend of Surrey teen Kiran Dhesi pleads guilty to her murder
Inside the vehicle was a deceased female body that had sustained injuries consistent with homicide. The female victim was dentified as Bhavkiran (Kiran) Dhesi, 19 of Surrey.

Former boyfriend of Surrey teen Kiran Dhesi pleads guilty to her murder

IHIT investigating homicide of a 30 year old male in Abbotsford

IHIT investigating homicide of a 30 year old male in Abbotsford
Abbotsford Police Investigating a Homicide on Simon Ave. Victim is a 30-year-old male. Investigators are in the early stages. No information to suggest the public is at risk.

IHIT investigating homicide of a 30 year old male in Abbotsford

519 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

519 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
There are 787 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 124 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, two new deaths (Northern Health) have been reported, for an overall total of 2,766.

519 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

Vancouver man gets life for 2017 murder: police

Vancouver man gets life for 2017 murder: police
Police say the 61-year-old Kunik died in February 2017 after being stabbed repeatedly while he was alone on the Stanley Park seawall. The department says Lagimodiere was arrested 11 months after the death.    

Vancouver man gets life for 2017 murder: police

Canada claims win over U.S. in solar panel dispute

Canada claims win over U.S. in solar panel dispute
A dispute resolution panel has agreed that tariffs on Canadian-made solar products imposed in 2018 by former president Donald Trump violated the terms of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement.

Canada claims win over U.S. in solar panel dispute

Convoy seeks new funds in face of Emergencies Act

Convoy seeks new funds in face of Emergencies Act
Pat King, an influential organizer, appeared in a video streamed live on Facebook Monday, hours after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced he was invoking the Emergencies Act in hopes of bringing an end to the protests.    

Convoy seeks new funds in face of Emergencies Act