Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

COVID-19 rules ignored by Vancouver crowd: police

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Nov, 2020 09:29 PM
  • COVID-19 rules ignored by Vancouver crowd: police

Vancouver police say a large and "hostile" crowd gathered downtown on Halloween night despite COVID-19 restrictions, but officers didn't issue tickets because of safety concerns.

Police say in a news release officers were called to the Granville entertainment district Saturday night when a growing crowd of people weren't paying attention to physical distancing rules.

                                           WATCH TODAY'S VIDEO 

It says officers stopped a Range Rover for a traffic violation and those inside "swarmed" the police.

When the crowd grew to about 30 people, the officers called for backup.

Police say one man was arrested for jumping on the hood of a police vehicle.

A rear passenger side window was smashed on another police vehicle and an arrest has not been made in that incident.

"Based on the hostile demeanour and size of Saturday’s crowd, social distancing tickets were not issued to party goers on the Granville strip as it would not have been a safe or an efficient use of the available police resources at the time," the department says in the release.

"Police must consider officer and public safety when deciding on possible enforcement options."

In the release, the police describe the Halloween weekend as "mayhem" as they responded to stabbings, assaults and a burned Porsche.

Three stabbings were investigated on the weekend including an altercation between two groups of people near the Pacific National Exhibition grounds and two in the Downtown Eastside.

Just after midnight on Sunday, a Porsche Panamera went up in flames in what police say was likely arson.

Apart from Vancouver Police, the Surrey RCMP also had a busy night with the Halloween weekend as people were not on their best behavior.

MORE National ARTICLES

Calls mount for Canadian response on Hong Kong

Calls mount for Canadian response on Hong Kong
The growing exasperation follows Ottawa's suspension of an extradition treaty with Hong Kong in early July after China passed a security law that put Hong Kong under tighter control from Beijing.

Calls mount for Canadian response on Hong Kong

Canada lobster industry facing U.S. probe

Canada lobster industry facing U.S. probe
The Canadian industry gained most of the Chinese market that the Americans lost after China slapped a 35 per cent tariff on U.S. lobster exports.

Canada lobster industry facing U.S. probe

B.C. final 2019-20 budget turns to deficit

B.C. final 2019-20 budget turns to deficit
The government's final budget numbers show a deficit of $321 million from a projected surplus of $274 million for the 2019-20 budget.

B.C. final 2019-20 budget turns to deficit

CBSA seizes $58,000 worth of opium poppy plants at Pacific Highway Border

CBSA seizes $58,000 worth of opium poppy plants at Pacific Highway Border
After X-ray imaging of the tractor and trailer revealed anomalies, officers continued their examination and located seven boxes of suspected dried opium poppy plants (including the pods), weighing 29 kg total.

CBSA seizes $58,000 worth of opium poppy plants at Pacific Highway Border

Minister looking into Ortis allegations: PM

Minister looking into Ortis allegations: PM
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Public Safety Minister Bill Blair is looking into allegations the RCMP brushed off warnings about a senior director who was later arrested on national-security charges.

Minister looking into Ortis allegations: PM

N.S. mass shooting: media outlets challenge judge

N.S. mass shooting: media outlets challenge judge
David Coles submitted an application today for a judicial review of decisions Judge Laurel Halfpenny-MacQuarrie made last month, arguing she had exceeded her jurisdiction.

N.S. mass shooting: media outlets challenge judge