Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Crisis Line Urgently Needed For Victims Of Coerced Sterilization: Senator

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 May, 2019 07:48 PM

    OTTAWA — An Ontario senator is calling on the federal government to fund a crisis line for victims of coerced and forced sterilization to ensure traumatized women can access assistance.


    Yvonne Boyer says her office has received numerous calls and e-mails from victims seeking help.


    She says she has also been approached by victims during recent travels and stresses that a help line must be operated by an outside organization to ensure individuals feel comfortable reaching out.


    Last week, Indigenous Services Minister Seamus O'Regan told the Senate that forced and coerced sterilization amounts to a violation of human rights, adding it is "deeply troubling" the practice could happen in Canada.


    He pointed to a working group of federal, provincial and territorial officials created to improve "cultural safety and health systems" — words he didn't specifically define.


    Boyer says the issue is about stopping sterilizations of women without their consent, not improving cultural practices in health care.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    New App From Telus Health And Babylon Enables Canadians To Visit A Doctor Through Their Smartphone

    More Than 50% Of Canadians Find It Difficult To Quickly Access After-Hours Medical Care Without Going To An Emergency Department

    New App From Telus Health And Babylon Enables Canadians To Visit A Doctor Through Their Smartphone

    Lawyer: Huawei Arrest Raises Political Motivation Concerns

    The lawyer for a senior executive of Chinese tech giant Huawei arrested in Canada said comments by U.S. President Trump suggest the case against her is politically motivated.

    Lawyer: Huawei Arrest Raises Political Motivation Concerns

    Vancouver Teen JEEVAN JOHAL SAEPAN Accused Of Shooting At Vehicle While Driving Faces Six Charges: Police

    Vancouver Teen JEEVAN JOHAL SAEPAN Accused Of Shooting At Vehicle While Driving Faces Six Charges: Police
    RCMP Cpl. Michael McLaughlin says Jeevan Johal Saepan is also accused of shooting at another vehicle in Coquitlam.

    Vancouver Teen JEEVAN JOHAL SAEPAN Accused Of Shooting At Vehicle While Driving Faces Six Charges: Police

    The Latest: Gerald Butts, Wernick Testify At Justice Committee On SNC-Lavalin Affair - Watch HIGHLIGHTS

    The latest developments at the House of Commons justice committee, holding hearings Wednesday on the SNC-Lavalin affair (all times local):

    The Latest: Gerald Butts, Wernick Testify At Justice Committee On SNC-Lavalin Affair - Watch HIGHLIGHTS

    Quebec Mother Found Guilty Of Second-Degree Murder In Daughters' Deaths

    Quebec Mother Found Guilty Of Second-Degree Murder In Daughters' Deaths
    A Quebec jury has found Adele Sorella guilty of second-degree murder in the deaths of her two young daughters, Amanda and Sabrina.  

    Quebec Mother Found Guilty Of Second-Degree Murder In Daughters' Deaths

    Man Found Guilty Of Abducting Daughter In Incident That Triggered Amber Alert

    Man Found Guilty Of Abducting Daughter In Incident That Triggered Amber Alert
    An Ontario man who snatched his four-year-old daughter from her mother's home in the early morning hours has been found guilty of abduction after a judge found 

    Man Found Guilty Of Abducting Daughter In Incident That Triggered Amber Alert