Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Despite council support, VCH no longer considering contentious drug consumption site

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Feb, 2024 10:54 AM
  • Despite council support, VCH no longer considering contentious drug consumption site

Vancouver Coastal Health says it is no longer considering a stand-alone supervised consumption site in Richmond, British Columbia.

The decision was announced late Wednesday in a statement from VCH, which said that, based on the latest Public Health data, such a facility would not be the most appropriate service for those at risk of overdose in the community.

It noted that the Richmond Local Health Area is reporting a comparatively low rate of drug toxicity deaths, adding that those numbers are slowly coming down.

The media release went on to suggest that stand-alone sites work best in communities where there is a significant concentration of people at-risk, since people will not travel far for these services.

The change in plans also comes days after the matter was discussed at Richmond City Hall. Following two days of heated debate, council voted 7-2 in favour of exploring the possibility of establishing such a site for people with addictions in the city.

VCH says it will continue to work with the city to bolster other overdose prevention services, to keep people safe and to continue expanding access to addiction treatment.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Bains appointment to Rogers prompts House committee to invite lobbying commissioner

Bains appointment to Rogers prompts House committee to invite lobbying commissioner
Former Liberal MP Navdeep Bains was the minister of industry for more than five years until he left government for the private sector in 2021. He was among several new appointments made to Rogers executive leadership team last week after Bains cleared his new job with both the lobbying and ethics commissioners in Ottawa.

Bains appointment to Rogers prompts House committee to invite lobbying commissioner

More Canadians ask for help to get out of Sudan: Joly

More Canadians ask for help to get out of Sudan: Joly
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said earlier this week Canada had a C-17 military plane in the region to help airlift Canadians out but so far has relied on other countries to find space on their planes or boats. On Tuesday Joly told Parliament 1,700 people had registered and 550 had asked for help.  

More Canadians ask for help to get out of Sudan: Joly

Union says government not budging on bargaining position or public service wage offer

Union says government not budging on bargaining position or public service wage offer
Treasury Board President Mona Fortier says in a written statement today that she wants to make an agreement quickly, but the government won't sign an agreement that Canadians can't afford. The parties remain at the negotiating table while the strike continues.

Union says government not budging on bargaining position or public service wage offer

Vancity CEO stepping down

Vancity CEO stepping down
B-C's Vancity credit union says Christine Bergeron is stepping down as president and C-E-O to take the top job at real estate company Concert Properties. The credit union says Bergeron will continue with Vancity until mid-July.

Vancity CEO stepping down

Arrest after man reportedly falls from second floor of a Kelowna apartment building

Arrest after man reportedly falls from second floor of a Kelowna apartment building
R-C-M-P say officers arrived at the building Saturday morning to find a man lying on the ground unconscious with severe injuries. The man was taken to a local hospital where he remains in critical condition.

Arrest after man reportedly falls from second floor of a Kelowna apartment building

Traffic blitz in Burnaby ends with 54 drivers getting warning letters

Traffic blitz in Burnaby ends with 54 drivers getting warning letters
Mounties and representatives with the B-C-A-A spent Monday morning watching drivers on westbound Lougheed Highway at Phillips Avenue. B-C drivers are required to slow down and move over for all vehicles stopped alongside the road that have flashing red, blue or yellow lights.

Traffic blitz in Burnaby ends with 54 drivers getting warning letters