Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Driver turns himself in after 4 hit in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Jun, 2022 03:33 PM
  • Driver turns himself in after 4 hit in B.C.

MISSION, BRITISH COLUMBIA - The driver of a truck has turned himself in after he is alleged to have hit four people who were marching in Mission, B.C., to draw attention to residential schools, RCMP say.

Mounties said in a news release Monday that the 77-year-old man is not in custody but is co-operating with investigators, and his truck has been seized for examination following the march on Saturday.

Police say the March for Recognition for Residential Schools temporarily blocked the only eastbound travel lane of the Lougheed Highway as a large group made its way to the site of the former St. Mary's residential school.

The man learned through the news media that police were looking for him and turned himself in, the release says.

RCMP have previously said they were called after an "impatient" driver tried to get around the march, resulting in "minor injuries."

But now, they say a bystander called when a fight was about to break out, and police only learned upon arrival that the pickup truck had driven through the group of demonstrators.

The release says investigators still need more details and are specifically looking for the driver of a single-unit dump truck or semi truck that was behind the pickup truck in question.

"This has been a traumatizing event for the people involved in the March, as well as the wider community, and police are working hard to gather all of the evidence to help to bring some answers and some closure to everyone involved," Const. Harrison Mohr said.

"Like any criminal investigation, we need to let the evidence guide the investigation, and that’s why we’re continuing to ask for more witnesses to come forward."

On Sunday, Mission RCMP said in a news release: "There is no indication that this incident was targeted, or that the driver's actions had anything specifically to do with the people marching or their cause."

That release can no longer be seen on the Mission RCMP website.

Troy Ingraldi took part in the march and said he watched the truck driver pull into a turnout before trying to pass the group.

He said in an interview on Sunday that he tried to stop the driver because there were children and elders around, and the driver got out of his vehicle, began yelling expletives and told the group they shouldn't be on the road.

Ingraldi alleged the man told the group he would run them off the road.

"That's when he ended up hitting me with the front driver side of his vehicle," Ingraldi said. "It kind of dragged me a little bit underneath and then pushed me off to the side of the truck."

None of the allegations have been proven in court.

Ashton Edwards, who was helping run the march as part of the Crazy Indians Brotherhood, said in a previous interview that he heard on a hand-held radio that Ingraldi had been hit, and then he saw the truck weaving towards him.

Edwards said a man in front of him was jumped up, bending over the hood. He said he tried to pull the man off the hood, and that's when he was struck and spun around. The man then drove off, he said.

Police said in a news release issued Sunday that the truck made contact with four people and they described the injuries as minor.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada's antisemitism envoy to be permanent: PM

Canada's antisemitism envoy to be permanent: PM
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is making the announcement today in a virtual appearance at the Malmö International Forum on Holocaust Remembrance and Combatting Antisemitism.

Canada's antisemitism envoy to be permanent: PM

West Fraser to buy U.S. sawmill for US$300 million

West Fraser to buy U.S. sawmill for US$300 million
The purchase from Angelina Forest Products will be funded with cash on hand and is expected to close after receiving U.S. regulatory approvals. The Vancouver-based company will provide further details about the transaction during its third-quarter earnings call on Oct. 28.

West Fraser to buy U.S. sawmill for US$300 million

Former homeless site in Vancouver open to public

Former homeless site in Vancouver open to public
The east side of the park was closed in May to allow remediation work after hundreds of campers were moved to indoor housing. The campers moved to Strathcona after being forced out of two other city parks.

Former homeless site in Vancouver open to public

Trudeau joins G20 in pushing Taliban to allow aid

Trudeau joins G20 in pushing Taliban to allow aid
During a virtual summit, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his fellow G20 leaders discussed the crisis in Afghanistan created by the Taliban rout of Kabul's Western-backed government.    

Trudeau joins G20 in pushing Taliban to allow aid

2,090 COVID19 cases over 4 days

2,090 COVID19 cases over 4 days
There are 5,183 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 186,955 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 357 individuals are in hospital and 153 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

2,090 COVID19 cases over 4 days

Macron seeks face-to-face meeting with Trudeau

Macron seeks face-to-face meeting with Trudeau
Kareen Rispal, France's ambassador to Canada, said that in addition to unfinished business the two countries started before the COVID-19 pandemic, Macron wants to hear Trudeau's views on the alliance formed last month between the United States, Britain and Australia.

Macron seeks face-to-face meeting with Trudeau