Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Eby 'deeply disturbed' by CSIS briefing on Nijjar killing in Surrey, B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2023 05:12 PM
  • Eby 'deeply disturbed' by CSIS briefing on Nijjar killing in Surrey, B.C.

British Columbia Premier David Eby says he's received a briefing from Canada's spy agency about the "assassination" of Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar and he's "deeply disturbed" by what he was told.

He says he's calling on the federal government to share all information related to ongoing foreign interference and "transnational organized crime threats."

Monday's briefing came after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told Parliament there was "credible" evidence linking the government of India to the June killing at a Sikh temple in Surrey, B.C.

Eby says Canadians must be safe from foreign government interference, including the threat of violence and murder.

He says he needs more information from the federal government so the province can better protect people at risk.

Nijjar was shot dead as he sat in his pickup truck in the parking lot of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdawra on June 18, in what police say was a targeted attack involving two gunmen and a getaway driver.

"I join with those in the Sikh and Punjabi community, and the broader province, demanding justice and answers," Eby says in a statement. 

Investigators said in June they had not linked the shooting to foreign interference and there were no reasons to believe the Sikh community in Canada was at risk.

Nijjar was organizing an unofficial referendum in India for an independent Sikh state at the time of this death.

Timeline of events surrounding killing of B.C. temple leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced in Parliament Monday that there is "credible" intelligence linking agents of the Indian government to the shooting death of a Sikh temple leader in Surrey, B.C. Hardeep Singh Nijjar was the president of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara and a leader in the Sikh independence movement in Canada.

---

July 22, 2022: Indian authorities announce a cash reward for information leading to Nijjar's arrest, accusing him of involvement in an alleged attack on a Hindu priest in India.

June 18: Nijjar is shot dead in a vehicle in the parking lot of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara, sparking a large protest outside the temple. 

June 19: A close associate of Nijjar's says the temple leader had been warned by Canadian intelligence officials about possibly being targeted before the shooting.

June 21: Police say they are searching for two suspects who may have escaped the scene on foot through a nearby park, where they met a getaway vehicle. 

June 24: Protesters gather outside Vancouver's Indian consulate, shouting slogans advocating for an independent Sikh state in India.

June 25: Nijjar's funeral is held at the gurdwara, reportedly attended by thousands.

July 4: Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says she is concerned about the safety of India's diplomats in Canada after protest posters accusing Indian officials of being linked to Nijjar's death are circulated in the community.

Aug. 16: Homicide investigators say they are seeking a third suspect in the case who may have been the driver of a getaway car.

Sept. 3: The Surrey School District cancels the rental of a local school for the Sikh referendum and organizers threaten legal action.

Sept. 10: A referendum vote is held at the Surrey gurdwara where Nijjar was killed, and organizers say the large turnout led to the scheduling of a second vote on Oct. 29 for those who could not vote.

Sept. 18: Trudeau addresses the House of Commons saying the allegations of Indian involvement in Nijjar's killing is "credible," and Joly says Canada is ordering one diplomat to leave. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspect charged in Granville Street machete attack

Suspect charged in Granville Street machete attack
A statement from Vancouver police says 48-year-old Ibrahim Bakhit faces three separate charges, including counts of aggravated assault and assault with a weapon. Court documents show Bakhit remains in custody and is due to return to court on Aug. 22.

Suspect charged in Granville Street machete attack

Transport committee to investigate airport delays

Transport committee to investigate airport delays
The committee met virtually on Monday and voted unanimously to move forward with a study into the delays. The committee will invite Transport Minister Omar Alghabra to testify and will hold its first hearing by the end of next week.

Transport committee to investigate airport delays

Liberals look to stopgap plan for dental care

Liberals look to stopgap plan for dental care
The Liberals promised the NDP a new dental-care program for low- and middle-income families in March as part of a supply and confidence agreement to prevent an election before 2025. The government has until the end of the year to provide some kind of coverage for children under the age of 12 with an annual household income of less than $90,000.

Liberals look to stopgap plan for dental care

Canada's former foreign minister Bill Graham dies

Canada's former foreign minister Bill Graham dies
Eugene Lang was his chief of staff at the time and said he was well-liked by most everyone, including MPs of different political stripes. Lang said while Graham was only in the role of national defence minister for less than two years, he had many accomplishments, including the recommended appointment of Rick Hillier as chief of defence staff.

Canada's former foreign minister Bill Graham dies

Teenager dies in ATV rollover in B.C.

Teenager dies in ATV rollover in B.C.
RCMP say the 17-year-old female was riding at the end of the Gun-a-Noot Trail south of the city when she crashed. Police say officers attended the scene, where paramedics and fire rescue were providing medical care.

Teenager dies in ATV rollover in B.C.

Search for Victoria man missing in Spain

Search for Victoria man missing in Spain
A statement from Victoria police says 67-year-old Scott Graham was last seen in Madrid when he visited the Canadian Embassy in the Spanish capital on July 15. An active missing persons case is underway in Spain and Victoria police are matching those efforts by issuing their own appeal, in Spanish and English.

Search for Victoria man missing in Spain