Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Eby 'deeply disturbed' by CSIS briefing on Nijjar killing in Surrey, B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Sep, 2023 05:12 PM
  • Eby 'deeply disturbed' by CSIS briefing on Nijjar killing in Surrey, B.C.

British Columbia Premier David Eby says he's received a briefing from Canada's spy agency about the "assassination" of Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar and he's "deeply disturbed" by what he was told.

He says he's calling on the federal government to share all information related to ongoing foreign interference and "transnational organized crime threats."

Monday's briefing came after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told Parliament there was "credible" evidence linking the government of India to the June killing at a Sikh temple in Surrey, B.C.

Eby says Canadians must be safe from foreign government interference, including the threat of violence and murder.

He says he needs more information from the federal government so the province can better protect people at risk.

Nijjar was shot dead as he sat in his pickup truck in the parking lot of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdawra on June 18, in what police say was a targeted attack involving two gunmen and a getaway driver.

"I join with those in the Sikh and Punjabi community, and the broader province, demanding justice and answers," Eby says in a statement. 

Investigators said in June they had not linked the shooting to foreign interference and there were no reasons to believe the Sikh community in Canada was at risk.

Nijjar was organizing an unofficial referendum in India for an independent Sikh state at the time of this death.

Timeline of events surrounding killing of B.C. temple leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced in Parliament Monday that there is "credible" intelligence linking agents of the Indian government to the shooting death of a Sikh temple leader in Surrey, B.C. Hardeep Singh Nijjar was the president of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara and a leader in the Sikh independence movement in Canada.

---

July 22, 2022: Indian authorities announce a cash reward for information leading to Nijjar's arrest, accusing him of involvement in an alleged attack on a Hindu priest in India.

June 18: Nijjar is shot dead in a vehicle in the parking lot of the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara, sparking a large protest outside the temple. 

June 19: A close associate of Nijjar's says the temple leader had been warned by Canadian intelligence officials about possibly being targeted before the shooting.

June 21: Police say they are searching for two suspects who may have escaped the scene on foot through a nearby park, where they met a getaway vehicle. 

June 24: Protesters gather outside Vancouver's Indian consulate, shouting slogans advocating for an independent Sikh state in India.

June 25: Nijjar's funeral is held at the gurdwara, reportedly attended by thousands.

July 4: Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says she is concerned about the safety of India's diplomats in Canada after protest posters accusing Indian officials of being linked to Nijjar's death are circulated in the community.

Aug. 16: Homicide investigators say they are seeking a third suspect in the case who may have been the driver of a getaway car.

Sept. 3: The Surrey School District cancels the rental of a local school for the Sikh referendum and organizers threaten legal action.

Sept. 10: A referendum vote is held at the Surrey gurdwara where Nijjar was killed, and organizers say the large turnout led to the scheduling of a second vote on Oct. 29 for those who could not vote.

Sept. 18: Trudeau addresses the House of Commons saying the allegations of Indian involvement in Nijjar's killing is "credible," and Joly says Canada is ordering one diplomat to leave. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman attacked in unprovoked stranger assault on a bus in June

Woman attacked in unprovoked stranger assault on a bus in June
As soon as the bus stopped, the suspect approached the victim as she was speaking with the bus operator.  Then, without provocation, allegedly punched her in the head and face several times, causing her to fall to the ground. He was last seen exiting the bus at Main Street and 64thAvenue.

Woman attacked in unprovoked stranger assault on a bus in June

B.C. ending immigration detention deal with CBSA

B.C. ending immigration detention deal with CBSA
The groups released a report in June 2021 saying immigrants with no criminal charges against them are detained in holding centres, federal prisons or provincial jails for "indeterminate amounts of time." They launched a campaign calling on B.C. to end its contract last October, and later expanded their push to Quebec and Nova Scotia.

B.C. ending immigration detention deal with CBSA

Highest court agrees B.C. man guilty of 1st-degre

Highest court agrees B.C. man guilty of 1st-degre
The Supreme Court of Canada decision released Thursday agrees with a B.C. Court of Appeal ruling last year that raised the conviction of Darren Sundman from second-degree murder to first-degree and imposed a minimum 25-year prison term before being eligible for parole.

Highest court agrees B.C. man guilty of 1st-degre

B.C. announces consumer protection for homebuyers

B.C. announces consumer protection for homebuyers
Finance Minister Selina Robinson says the consumer protection policy effective Jan. 1 is aimed at providing people with peace of mind as unconditional offers are common and could later end up costing buyers thousands of dollars in repairs.

B.C. announces consumer protection for homebuyers

Darpan's 10 with City of Surrey Councillor Mandeep Nagra

Darpan's 10 with City of Surrey Councillor Mandeep Nagra
There are number of things that I am always going to be very proud of that we achieved in last four years as a team. We are building Newton Recreation Centre which is going to have an Olympic size pool, volleyball courts, badminton courts, and a number of other facilities on 7 acres. 150 million dollars for this project has already been allocated in the budget.

Darpan's 10 with City of Surrey Councillor Mandeep Nagra

2 men arrested and charged with assault and armed robbery in New Westminster

2 men arrested and charged with assault and armed robbery in New Westminster
2 people have been arrested by the New West Police after an assault and armed robbery took place near the corner of McKenzie Street and Clarkson Street. The two committed the assault and armed robbery on July 13th and one person landed in hospital as a result of this incident. 

2 men arrested and charged with assault and armed robbery in New Westminster