Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Evacuation alert in Fairmont, B.C., after downpour

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 May, 2021 09:43 AM
  • Evacuation alert in Fairmont, B.C., after downpour

An evacuation alert has been issued for more than 200 homes and businesses in southeastern British Columbia as a weekend downpour and the likelihood of more rain raise the potential for flooding in the Fairmont area.

The Regional District of East Kootenay issued the alert late Monday for 229 properties in the Fairmont Hot Springs and Cold Spring Creek areas about 100 kilometres north of Cranbook.

A state of local emergency has also been declared around Fairmont.

More than 40 millimetres of rain fell in the area between Sunday and Monday, swelling creeks and filling debris traps along the river systems, raising potential for a damaging debris flow.

The regional district says residents in the alert area should gather papers, medications and other important items and be ready to leave on short notice.

Tonnes of rock, mud, trees and debris surged down Fairmont Creek in 2012 forcing more than 350 residents to flee, and a smaller flow happened last year on both Fairmont and Cold Stream creeks.

But officials say damage was not as bad due to construction of debris traps and other extensive work along both waterways.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. took money laundering seriously: de Jong

B.C. took money laundering seriously: de Jong
The public inquiry has heard testimony from gaming investigators who suspected organized crime groups were providing large cash loans to casino patrons as part of a money laundering scheme.

B.C. took money laundering seriously: de Jong

NACI recommends AstraZeneca for people over 30

NACI recommends AstraZeneca for people over 30
Although provinces initially paused giving AstraZeneca shots to younger people based on the committee's advice, some have since started administering it to people over 40, given the current spread of the virus.

NACI recommends AstraZeneca for people over 30

AstraZeneca doses perfectly safe: Trudeau

AstraZeneca doses perfectly safe: Trudeau
Trudeau says Canada has been assured the doses being "loaned" by the U.S. were not affected by recent production problems at a facility in Baltimore.

AstraZeneca doses perfectly safe: Trudeau

EU agency says people should get 2nd dose of AstraZeneca too

EU agency says people should get 2nd dose of AstraZeneca too
In new guidance, the European Union's drug regulator said people should still get a second AstraZeneca dose four to 12 weeks after their first shot and that the benefits of immunization far outweighed the risks of the unusual clotting disorder.

EU agency says people should get 2nd dose of AstraZeneca too

B.C. restricts travel in the province

B.C. restricts travel in the province
Solicitor General Mike Farnworth, who is also the minister of public safety, says the new orders are being brought in using the extraordinary powers of the Emergency Program Act. The order goes into effect today and expires on May 25. Breaking rules come with $575 fine.

B.C. restricts travel in the province

Canada secures millions of vaccine booster shots from Pfizer for future: Trudeau

Canada secures millions of vaccine booster shots from Pfizer for future: Trudeau
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the deal with Pfizer includes options to add 30 million doses in both 2022 and 2023, and an option for 60 million doses in 2024.

Canada secures millions of vaccine booster shots from Pfizer for future: Trudeau