Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Jul, 2018 12:50 PM
  • Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan
SUMMERLAND, B.C. — Evacuation orders and alerts have been issued by two regional districts in British Columbia's Okanagan Valley as wildfires flare following lightning storms and several days of withering heat.
 
 
The Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen declared a state of local emergency and issued two evacuation orders overnight for a total of 43 properties, several campgrounds and a provincial park along Highway 97 between Summerland and Peachland.
 
 
Those orders are in addition to evacuations issued Wednesday by the Central Okanagan Regional District for properties just north of that area along the west side of Okanagan Lake, south of Peachland.
 
 
The BC Wildfire Service says the lightning-caused Mount Eneas wildfire has scorched about two-square kilometres of bush in steep terrain about four kilometres south of Peachland.
 
 
Evacuees are being directed to reception centres in West Kelowna and Penticton and Drive BC says although Highway 97 was closed by the fire overnight, the route has reopened to single lane alternating traffic, with an RCMP escort.
 
 
An evacuation alert is also posted for a second wildfire, the Good Creek blaze, estimated at about two-square kilometres, burning across Okanagan Lake, in Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park just outside the southern limits of the City of Kelowna.
 
 
The wildfire service said Wednesday that almost three dozen new fires had been sparked following a powerful storm and nearly 1,000 lightning strikes.
 
 
In all, the wildfire service lists 11 blazes of note, with nine, including the Mount Eneas and Good Creek fires, in the Kamloops Fire Centre and two in the Prince George Fire Centre, including an 80-hectare fire northwest of Vanderhoof that has prompted an evacuation alert.

MORE National ARTICLES

Montreal-area City Limits Erotic Businesses In Effort To Fight Sexual Exploitation

Montreal-area City Limits Erotic Businesses In Effort To Fight Sexual Exploitation
MONTREAL — Quebec's third-largest city is cracking down on sex-related businesses such as erotic massage parlours and swingers' clubs.

Montreal-area City Limits Erotic Businesses In Effort To Fight Sexual Exploitation

U.S. Border Data Fuels Canadian Visa Crackdown, Newly Released Figures Show

U.S. Border Data Fuels Canadian Visa Crackdown, Newly Released Figures Show
  OTTAWA — A budding cross-border data exchange with the United States is quietly helping Canada crack down on immigration violators.

U.S. Border Data Fuels Canadian Visa Crackdown, Newly Released Figures Show

John Horgan Calls Kelowna West Byelection To Replace Former Premier Clark

John Horgan Calls Kelowna West Byelection To Replace Former Premier Clark
Premier John Horgan has called a byelection for the riding of Kelowna West on Feb. 14.

John Horgan Calls Kelowna West Byelection To Replace Former Premier Clark

New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence

New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence
The woman had been convicted for stabbing Douglas Barrett in the back in his Sydney, N.S., home on Sept. 19, 2015.

New Trial Ordered For Sex Worker Who Says She Stabbed Client In Self-Defence

Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts

Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts
  Police said this week their investigation found the alleged incident didn't happen, just days after the girl and her family gave a detailed account during a high-profile news conference.

Hijab-Cutting Case Highlights Ethical Issues With Putting Kids In Spotlight: Experts

After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne

After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne
BARRIE, Ont. — Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is defending her comments against hate crime following an alleged attack on an 11-year-old Toronto girl wearing a hijab that later turned out to be untrue.

After Untrue Hijab Assault, Still Important To Denounce Hate Crimes: Kathleen Wynne