Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Jul, 2018 12:50 PM
  • Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan
SUMMERLAND, B.C. — Evacuation orders and alerts have been issued by two regional districts in British Columbia's Okanagan Valley as wildfires flare following lightning storms and several days of withering heat.
 
 
The Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen declared a state of local emergency and issued two evacuation orders overnight for a total of 43 properties, several campgrounds and a provincial park along Highway 97 between Summerland and Peachland.
 
 
Those orders are in addition to evacuations issued Wednesday by the Central Okanagan Regional District for properties just north of that area along the west side of Okanagan Lake, south of Peachland.
 
 
The BC Wildfire Service says the lightning-caused Mount Eneas wildfire has scorched about two-square kilometres of bush in steep terrain about four kilometres south of Peachland.
 
 
Evacuees are being directed to reception centres in West Kelowna and Penticton and Drive BC says although Highway 97 was closed by the fire overnight, the route has reopened to single lane alternating traffic, with an RCMP escort.
 
 
An evacuation alert is also posted for a second wildfire, the Good Creek blaze, estimated at about two-square kilometres, burning across Okanagan Lake, in Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park just outside the southern limits of the City of Kelowna.
 
 
The wildfire service said Wednesday that almost three dozen new fires had been sparked following a powerful storm and nearly 1,000 lightning strikes.
 
 
In all, the wildfire service lists 11 blazes of note, with nine, including the Mount Eneas and Good Creek fires, in the Kamloops Fire Centre and two in the Prince George Fire Centre, including an 80-hectare fire northwest of Vanderhoof that has prompted an evacuation alert.

MORE National ARTICLES

Crown Wants Convictions For B.C. Pair Earlier Accused Of Terror-Related Crimes

Crown Wants Convictions For B.C. Pair Earlier Accused Of Terror-Related Crimes
VANCOUVER — A British Columbia judge was wrong to throw out findings of guilt against a pair of accused terrorist sympathizers who planted what they thought were pressure-cooker bombs on the lawn of the provincial legislature, the Crown says.

Crown Wants Convictions For B.C. Pair Earlier Accused Of Terror-Related Crimes

Price Of Average Canadian Home Rose To $496,500 In December, Up 5.7% In 2017

Price Of Average Canadian Home Rose To $496,500 In December, Up 5.7% In 2017
Prices Cooling Off, But Pace Of Sales Is Increasing, Canadian Real Estate Association Says

Price Of Average Canadian Home Rose To $496,500 In December, Up 5.7% In 2017

Some Canadian Media Organizations Ready To Cope With Facebook's Changes To Feeds

Some Canadian Media Organizations Ready To Cope With Facebook's Changes To Feeds
Some members of Canada's media industry say they expect to be able to weather the potential setback created by the latest change to Facebook's content sharing priorities.

Some Canadian Media Organizations Ready To Cope With Facebook's Changes To Feeds

First-Degree Murder Charges Against 3 Men After Alberta Man Found Dead In B.C.

First-Degree Murder Charges Against 3 Men After Alberta Man Found Dead In B.C.
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 20-year-old Michael Bonin's body was found on a rural forest service road north of Hope on April 20, 2017.

First-Degree Murder Charges Against 3 Men After Alberta Man Found Dead In B.C.

Innocent teen dead In 'Brazen' Vancouver Shooting

Innocent teen dead In 'Brazen' Vancouver Shooting
A 15-year-old from Coquitlam, B.C., who was driving through the area when the shots were fired, was also seriously injured and taken to hospital.

Innocent teen dead In 'Brazen' Vancouver Shooting

Toronto Police Say Hijab-Cutting Incident Never Happened, Investigation Is Closed

Toronto Police Say Hijab-Cutting Incident Never Happened, Investigation Is Closed
A Toronto police investigation has concluded that an incident reported by an 11-year-old girl who claimed her hijab was cut by a scissors-wielding man as she walked to school did not happen.

Toronto Police Say Hijab-Cutting Incident Never Happened, Investigation Is Closed