Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Jul, 2018 12:50 PM
  • Evacuations Ordered As Lightning-Caused Wildfires Flare In B.C.'s Okanagan
SUMMERLAND, B.C. — Evacuation orders and alerts have been issued by two regional districts in British Columbia's Okanagan Valley as wildfires flare following lightning storms and several days of withering heat.
 
 
The Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen declared a state of local emergency and issued two evacuation orders overnight for a total of 43 properties, several campgrounds and a provincial park along Highway 97 between Summerland and Peachland.
 
 
Those orders are in addition to evacuations issued Wednesday by the Central Okanagan Regional District for properties just north of that area along the west side of Okanagan Lake, south of Peachland.
 
 
The BC Wildfire Service says the lightning-caused Mount Eneas wildfire has scorched about two-square kilometres of bush in steep terrain about four kilometres south of Peachland.
 
 
Evacuees are being directed to reception centres in West Kelowna and Penticton and Drive BC says although Highway 97 was closed by the fire overnight, the route has reopened to single lane alternating traffic, with an RCMP escort.
 
 
An evacuation alert is also posted for a second wildfire, the Good Creek blaze, estimated at about two-square kilometres, burning across Okanagan Lake, in Okanagan Mountain Provincial Park just outside the southern limits of the City of Kelowna.
 
 
The wildfire service said Wednesday that almost three dozen new fires had been sparked following a powerful storm and nearly 1,000 lightning strikes.
 
 
In all, the wildfire service lists 11 blazes of note, with nine, including the Mount Eneas and Good Creek fires, in the Kamloops Fire Centre and two in the Prince George Fire Centre, including an 80-hectare fire northwest of Vanderhoof that has prompted an evacuation alert.

MORE National ARTICLES

Neighbours Take Burnaby Condo Owner To Court Over Allegations Of Prostitution

Neighbours Take Burnaby Condo Owner To Court Over Allegations Of Prostitution
  Court documents say residents of the building in Burnaby, B.C., started raising concerns in August 2015 about visitors and disturbances at a unit owned by Christopher Nino Diopita.

Neighbours Take Burnaby Condo Owner To Court Over Allegations Of Prostitution

Victoria Police Warn About Syringes After Second Person Pricked By Uncapped Needle

Victoria Police Warn About Syringes After Second Person Pricked By Uncapped Needle
Victoria police are issuing a public warning after a woman was pricked by a syringe, the second person to be injured by a hypodermic needle in the past few days.

Victoria Police Warn About Syringes After Second Person Pricked By Uncapped Needle

New Brunswick Announces Plan To Provide FREE CHILD CARE To Low Income Families

Premier Brian Gallant says providing access to free child care will give low-income parents every opportunity to enter the workforce or pursue their studies.

New Brunswick Announces Plan To Provide FREE CHILD CARE To Low Income Families

B.C. Premier's Older Brother Pat Horgan Dies Of Cancer At 71, Service Next Month In Port Mcneill

B.C. Premier's Older Brother Pat Horgan Dies Of Cancer At 71, Service Next Month In Port Mcneill
The premier's office issued a statement Thursday expressing sadness at the death of Pat Horgan on Jan. 6.

B.C. Premier's Older Brother Pat Horgan Dies Of Cancer At 71, Service Next Month In Port Mcneill

Anonymous Donor Gives Centre For Addiction And Mental Health Record $100M For Research

Anonymous Donor Gives Centre For Addiction And Mental Health Record $100M For Research
Canada's largest mental health hospital has been given $100 million from an anonymous donor, with the goal of developing cures for psychiatric conditions that affect almost seven million Canadians.

Anonymous Donor Gives Centre For Addiction And Mental Health Record $100M For Research

Ahoy There! No Wooden Decks To Swab On Alberta Man's Icy Sailing Ship

Ahoy There! No Wooden Decks To Swab On Alberta Man's Icy Sailing Ship
Donnie White of Red Deer says it took him more than three weeks to build the vessel for his two kids out of 250 blocks of ice weighing 25 kilograms each.

Ahoy There! No Wooden Decks To Swab On Alberta Man's Icy Sailing Ship