Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Father Charged With Second-degree Murder In B.C. Sisters' Deaths

The Canadian Press, 04 Jan, 2018 12:30 PM
    OAK BAY, B.C. — The father of two girls who were found dead in a Victoria-area home on Christmas Day has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder.
     
     
    Andrew Berry, 43, was arrested and charged after he was released from hospital, RCMP said in a release on Wednesday.
     
     
     
    Police have said they were called to a residence in Oak Bay on the evening of Dec. 25 where officers discovered the bodies of two children inside.
     
     
    They also said an injured man, whose condition was not disclosed, was found inside the home and taken to hospital.
     
     
    A friend and a family member have identified the girls as Chloe Berry, 6, and her sister Aubrey Berry, 4.
     
     
    Trisha Lees, who was acting as a spokeswoman for the family, has said the children's mother notified police when her former common-law spouse hadn't returned the girls as scheduled.
     
     
    Lees declined to comment on the charges.
     
     
    At a candle-light vigil for the girls on Saturday, Ricky de Souza, the principal of St. Christopher's Montessori School where Aubrey attended, said the girl's death leaves a hole in the school
     
     
    He said the four-year-old was a kind and gentle person who was the angel Gabriel in the School's recent Christmas nativity performance.
     
     
    Stuart Hall, Christ Church Cathedral School principal, said Chloe was a peacemaker at their school and was always the first person to offer help to her classmates.
     
     
    "Chloe has left us all wounded,'' he said of her death.
     
     
    Oak Bay's acting mayor, Hazel Braithwaite, told the ceremony that the deaths have taken a toll on the entire community.
     
     
    "We have all been shaken by this tragic event,'' she said.
     
     
    A decision from the B.C. Supreme Court shows Berry and his estranged common-law wife had a dispute over custody of the girls.
     
     
    Court documents show the girls' mother, Sarah Cotton, was concerned about their father's parenting abilities.
     
     
    The documents say Berry wanted to split custody of the girls evenly with their mother.
     
     
    Instead, in a decision last May, the court granted Cotton more parenting time because of her flexible work schedule and because she had been the girls' primary caregiver for most of their lives.
     
     
    Bernard Richard, British Columbia's child and youth representative, said last week that his office has started gathering documents, but it's too early to say whether they will launch a formal investigation into the case.
     
     
    Police said on Wednesday the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit continues to investigate the deaths.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Rock Slide Closes Trans-Canada Between Revelstoke, Golden, Until Further Notice

    Rock Slide Closes Trans-Canada Between Revelstoke, Golden, Until Further Notice
    A rock slide severed the route between Revelstoke and Golden on Tuesday evening.

    Rock Slide Closes Trans-Canada Between Revelstoke, Golden, Until Further Notice

    City Holds Public Hearing To Regulate Short-term Vacation Rentals In Vancouver

    VANCOUVER — Many proponents of the home sharing platform Airbnb called on Vancouver to loosen terms of proposed regulations on the industry, but renters advocates and condominium boards say tight rules are exactly what is needed.

    City Holds Public Hearing To Regulate Short-term Vacation Rentals In Vancouver

    28-Year-Old Nicholas KHABRA Identified As Victim Of Targeted Surrey Shooting

    28-Year-Old Nicholas KHABRA Identified As Victim Of Targeted Surrey Shooting
    Nicholas Khabra was one of two people injured in the incident that occurred shortly after 2 a.m. Monday in the 14300 block of Crescent Road.

    28-Year-Old Nicholas KHABRA Identified As Victim Of Targeted Surrey Shooting

    Extensive Search For Mushroom Picker Ends After Nine Days In Northern B.C.

    Extensive Search For Mushroom Picker Ends After Nine Days In Northern B.C.
    SMITHERS, B.C. — The official search for a woman in northwestern British Columbia has been called off.

    Extensive Search For Mushroom Picker Ends After Nine Days In Northern B.C.

    Retail Jobs Put At Risk By Self-Service Technology, Experts Say

    Retailers are racing to adopt new technologies, like the self-scanner Walmart has rolled out in 22 Canadian stores, to stay competitive in a challenging industry. 

    Retail Jobs Put At Risk By Self-Service Technology, Experts Say

    Judge Praises Sex-Assault Victim, Sentences Woman's Former Supervisor

    Judge Praises Sex-Assault Victim, Sentences Woman's Former Supervisor
    HALIFAX — He was her supervisor and sexually abused her for months — repeatedly groping her and making sexual comments, all under the guise of joking around.

    Judge Praises Sex-Assault Victim, Sentences Woman's Former Supervisor