Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Poilievre against transgender women in female bathrooms, changing rooms, sports

Poilievre against transgender women in female bathrooms, changing rooms, sports
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he believes "biological males" have no place in sports or change rooms that are labelled female. Poilievre was asked at a news conference Wednesday about his position on whether transgender women should be allowed in spaces that are labelled for women and whether he would introduce any legislation to stop it.

Poilievre against transgender women in female bathrooms, changing rooms, sports

All oil and gas permits in B.C. waters are relinquished, say feds Victoria

All oil and gas permits in B.C. waters are relinquished, say feds Victoria
The federal government says the final offshore oil and gas permits for Canada's west coast region have been relinquished. Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson is speaking in Victoria today and expected to announce the relinquishment of the last permits in British Columbia waters.

All oil and gas permits in B.C. waters are relinquished, say feds Victoria

Millennials outnumber baby boomers in Canada as immigration slows population aging

Millennials outnumber baby boomers in Canada as immigration slows population aging
Statistics Canada says there are now more millennials than baby boomers in the country, ending the 65-year reign of the post-Second World War generation as the largest cohort in the population. The federal agency noted the change in its newly released population estimate for July 1, 2023, broken down by age and gender.

Millennials outnumber baby boomers in Canada as immigration slows population aging

Driver speeding in bus lane in North Vancouver is issued $1,500 fine

Driver speeding in bus lane in North Vancouver is issued $1,500 fine
RCMP in North Vancouver say a $1,500 fine was handed out to a driver caught speeding down a bus lane. Police credit the discreet and quick actions of an officer on a motorcycle for nabbing and ticketing a driver last October.

Driver speeding in bus lane in North Vancouver is issued $1,500 fine

RCMP see no foreign interference as two teenagers charged over Surrey shooting

RCMP see no foreign interference as two teenagers charged over Surrey shooting
Two 16-year-old youths were arrested on Feb. 12 and are being held in custody as they await their next court appearance. RCMP say the BC Prosecution Service approved charges of discharging a firearm into a place and possessing a loaded prohibited firearm.

RCMP see no foreign interference as two teenagers charged over Surrey shooting

B.C. New Democrat government makes pledges to homebuyers, renters, in throne speech

B.C. New Democrat government makes pledges to homebuyers, renters, in throne speech
British Columbia's New Democrat government is pledging more homes for first-time buyers and eviction protection for renters in a throne speech that promises affordability measures in this week's budget. The throne speech, read in the legislature by Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin, says the government is putting forward a vision where everyone can get ahead and no one is left behind

B.C. New Democrat government makes pledges to homebuyers, renters, in throne speech