Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

North Vancouver home of two 'terrified' seniors repeatedly vandalized

North Vancouver home of two 'terrified' seniors repeatedly vandalized
Police say two seniors in North Vancouver are "terrified" and flummoxed to explain why vandals have targeted their home five times in the last year.  North Vancouver RCMP say the most recent harassment came on Saturday at 12:40 a.m. and 1:30 a.m., when a security camera recorded two suspects kicking the home's front door before running away.

North Vancouver home of two 'terrified' seniors repeatedly vandalized

Politicians back at the leg for spring session

Politicians back at the leg for spring session
BC politicians are back in Victoria this week for the spring legislative session.  Today's speech from the throne will set out the political agenda for the coming weeks ahead of this fall’s provincial election campaign.

Politicians back at the leg for spring session

RCMP says two-vehicle crash near Burnaby, B.C. off ramp leaves 1 dead, 2 badly hurt

RCMP says two-vehicle crash near Burnaby, B.C. off ramp leaves 1 dead, 2 badly hurt
Burnaby RCMP says one person is dead and two people are in critical condition after a two-vehicle crash Sunday near a Highway 1 off ramp. Cpl. Mike Kalanj says in a statement the Mounties are investigating the early morning accident near the Sprott Street off ramp.

RCMP says two-vehicle crash near Burnaby, B.C. off ramp leaves 1 dead, 2 badly hurt

1 injured in Surrey shooting

1 injured in Surrey shooting
A shooting in Surrey over the weekend has sent a man to hospital with serious injuries in what police are calling an isolated incident. Surrey RCMP say officers responded to a report of shots fired in the Guildford area of Surrey at about 6:23 p.m. Sunday. 

1 injured in Surrey shooting

6 families displaced by Chilliwack fire

6 families displaced by Chilliwack fire
Fire officials in Chilliwack, B.C., say an early morning blaze at an apartment complex has displaced six families. The Chilliwack Fire Department says the blaze was reported around 5:30 Monday morning, and more than three dozen firefighters responded to the apartment complex on Edward Street.

6 families displaced by Chilliwack fire

Vancouver police officer is directed to remove Star of David patch from uniform

Vancouver police officer is directed to remove Star of David patch from uniform
Vancouver police say an officer has been told to remove from his uniform a patch that shows the Star of David. An image of the officer wearing the black patch that includes the star and white bars, similar to the Israeli flag, had been posted on social media on Thursday.  

Vancouver police officer is directed to remove Star of David patch from uniform