Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey fire deemed suspicious

Surrey fire deemed suspicious
Mounties say they responded to a call around 7 p-m on Sunday to the complex in the 13300 block of 103 avenue, and firefighters were already on scene evacuating the building.  Police say anyone who may have witnessed any suspicious activity should contact the Surrey RCMP.

Surrey fire deemed suspicious

Ex-Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi joins NDP leadership race to combat "immoral" UCP

Ex-Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi joins NDP leadership race to combat
Former Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi came out of political retirement on Monday, announcing a run for Alberta's NDP leadership to challenge what he termed an “immoral” United Conservative government. Nenshi, 52, was elected mayor of Calgary in 2010 and won three terms before deciding to bow out before the 2021 municipal election.

Ex-Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi joins NDP leadership race to combat "immoral" UCP

Stung by criticism, Ottawa to give $1M to support victims of sexual violence by Hamas

Stung by criticism, Ottawa to give $1M to support victims of sexual violence by Hamas
Ottawa has not said which groups will receive the $1 million, nor when. Canada is also offering RCMP support for investigations, though it's unclear whether Israeli officials have made any specific request. Joly announced the measures on the platform X, formerly known as Twitter, on Monday, saying the funding is for "organizations who are supporting survivors of sexual violence committed by Hamas."

Stung by criticism, Ottawa to give $1M to support victims of sexual violence by Hamas

Surrey hospital to get critical care tower with acute, specialized services

Surrey hospital to get critical care tower with acute, specialized services
Premier David Eby says the B.C. government has plans underway to build a new critical care tower at Surrey Memorial Hospital, adding capacity for surgical, pediatric, perinatal, women's health, mental health and stroke care. Eby says Surrey's health-care services need to grow along with its population.  

Surrey hospital to get critical care tower with acute, specialized services

Most teens report feeling happy or peaceful when they go without smartphones, Pew survey finds

Most teens report feeling happy or peaceful when they go without smartphones, Pew survey finds
Nearly three-quarters of U.S. teens say they feel happy or peaceful when they don't have their phones with them, according to a new report from the Pew Research Center. In a survey published Monday, Pew also found that despite the positive associations with going phone-free, most teens have not limited their phone or social media use.   

Most teens report feeling happy or peaceful when they go without smartphones, Pew survey finds

B.C. begins offering in-province immunotherapy treatment for lymphoma, leukemia

B.C. begins offering in-province immunotherapy treatment for lymphoma, leukemia
British Columbia is beginning to offer an immunotherapy cancer treatment in the province for some patients who haven't had success with standard chemotherapy or radiation. Chimeric antigen receptor T-cell Therapy, commonly referred to as CAR-T, treats lymphoma and leukemia by collecting a patient's white blood cells and genetically engineering them to recognize and kill cancer cells.

B.C. begins offering in-province immunotherapy treatment for lymphoma, leukemia