Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

2 arrested for assault with a weapon

2 arrested for assault with a weapon
Police in Surrey say two men have been charged with multiple offences including assault with a weapon, uttering threats to cause death, and unlawful confinement after an incident at a city centre apartment on Monday. They say officers responded to a call from a resident at an apartment on Central Avenue who said that two men were acting violently and had a gun.

2 arrested for assault with a weapon

Home invasion in Sicamous

Home invasion in Sicamous
Mounties in Sicamous say a man has been charged with multiple offences for breaking into a home in Malakwa last Saturday. They say the man was allegedly armed with a weapon and got into a confrontation with the residents inside.

Home invasion in Sicamous

Trudeau to attend events marking the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland

Trudeau to attend events marking the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will fly to Poland next week for events marking 80 years since the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp. Trudeau's office says he'll be travelling Sunday to Tuesday and visiting the site of the Nazi regime's largest camp, where more than one million people were murdered during the Holocaust.

Trudeau to attend events marking the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland

Ottawa signs deals to house homeless in 11 municipalities in Ontario, Saskatchewan

Ottawa signs deals to house homeless in 11 municipalities in Ontario, Saskatchewan
The federal government has signed deals with nine additional municipalities in Ontario and two in Saskatchewan to address homelessness. The agreements are worth a combined $91 million over two years and are meant to support the municipalities' encampment response plans.

Ottawa signs deals to house homeless in 11 municipalities in Ontario, Saskatchewan

Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says he won't run in next election

Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says he won't run in next election
Another member of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's front bench has decided to step away from federal politics at the next election. Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says his name will not be on the ballot when the next election is held, though he says he will remain a dedicated member of the Liberal party.

Emergency Preparedness Minister Harjit Sajjan says he won't run in next election

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit
Staff at the World Health Organization are "devastated" by President Donald Trump's executive order to pull the U.S. out of the agency, a Canadian global health specialist says. Dr. Madhukar Pai, the Canada Research Chair in Epidemiology and Global Health, is at the WHO headquarters in Geneva this week for meetings about tuberculosis and was there at the time Trump signed the order Monday.  

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit