Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Immigration minister says U.S. is still safe for refugees despite Trump's rhetoric

Immigration minister says U.S. is still safe for refugees despite Trump's rhetoric
Refugee advocacy groups are pushing back as the federal immigration minister says Ottawa still regards the U.S. as a safe country for transgender refugees under President Donald Trump. Trump signed executive orders on the first day of his new term to make recognizing gender based on biological characteristics U.S. government policy, and to pause the refugee program.

Immigration minister says U.S. is still safe for refugees despite Trump's rhetoric

Nearly 500 B.C. residents received an organ transplant in 2024

Nearly 500 B.C. residents received an organ transplant in 2024
Health authorities in British Columbia say nearly 500 people in the province received a life-saving organ transplant last year. The Provincial Health Services Authority, BC Transplant and the Ministry of Health say in a joint news release that 481 transplants in 2024 came from more than 200 donors.

Nearly 500 B.C. residents received an organ transplant in 2024

Premiers, prime minister meet to talk Trump tariffs after cabinet retreat

Premiers, prime minister meet to talk Trump tariffs after cabinet retreat
Canada's premiers are meeting virtually with the prime minister today to talk about Donald Trump's early moves as president and the looming threat of tariffs. The first ministers have committed to weekly meetings now that Trump has been installed in the White House.

Premiers, prime minister meet to talk Trump tariffs after cabinet retreat

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.
Trump's proposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian exports would be a "deliberate economic attack" on B.C. families and people should think carefully about spending money in a country that wants to do them economic harm, Eby said during a news conference in Vancouver on Tuesday.

B.C. Premier David Eby asks Canadians to think carefully about spending money in U.S.

Poilievre says he wants to cut the federal public service, doesn't mind remote work

Poilievre says he wants to cut the federal public service, doesn't mind remote work
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says a government led by him would cut the number of federal public servants — but he doesn't mind if they work from home. When asked by Radio-Canada on Tuesday if U.S. President Donald Trump’s executive order sending federal workers back to the office five days a week is a good idea, Poilievre said that what matters is whether public servants do the work.

Poilievre says he wants to cut the federal public service, doesn't mind remote work

CAF updates entry medical standards to aid recruitment efforts

CAF updates entry medical standards to aid recruitment efforts
The Canadian Armed Forces is no longer automatically disqualifying applicants with certain medical conditions such as allergies and ADHD, as it works to improve its numbers and grow the size of Canada's military.

CAF updates entry medical standards to aid recruitment efforts