Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Snowboarding Jan. 6 rioter still in B.C. custody after Trump pardon

Snowboarding Jan. 6 rioter still in B.C. custody after Trump pardon
An American man recently found guilty of rioting at the U.S. Capitol four years ago remains in immigration custody in British Columbia, even after being given a presidential pardon for his actions. But the lawyer for 32-year-old Anthony Vo says his client plans to drop his asylum claim in Canada and he expects to be returned to the United States, possibly as early as this week. 

Snowboarding Jan. 6 rioter still in B.C. custody after Trump pardon

Man charged with second-degree murder two years after Vancouver death

Man charged with second-degree murder two years after Vancouver death
A suspect has been charged with second-degree murder more than two years after a man was killed in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. A statement from Vancouver police says they were called on Jan. 17, 2023, to reports of a shooting inside the West Hotel rooming house. 

Man charged with second-degree murder two years after Vancouver death

B.C. union leader says 'high probability' of dispute in public sector contract talks

B.C. union leader says 'high probability' of dispute in public sector contract talks
Contract talks between the British Columbia government's unionized public sector workers start today with a union leader forecasting a difficult round of bargaining. B.C. General Employees' Union President Paul Finch says the contract for 34,000 provincial government workers expires March 31, but talks are starting earlier. 

B.C. union leader says 'high probability' of dispute in public sector contract talks

'Targeted' shooting first homicide of the year in Delta, B.C.: police

'Targeted' shooting first homicide of the year in Delta, B.C.: police
A man has died after being shot in what Delta police call a targeted attack. A statement from the Delta Police Department says officers are now treating the shooting of 29-year-old Delta resident Gurvinder Uppal as a homicide.

'Targeted' shooting first homicide of the year in Delta, B.C.: police

Sleeping driver leads to drugs, guns being seized: Mounties say

Sleeping driver leads to drugs, guns being seized: Mounties say
Police in Kamloops say they seized guns and a "significant" amounts of drugs after finding a man sleeping inside a running vehicle at a restaurant parking lot. A statement from the RCMP says officers saw "numerous weapons" in plain view as they approached the truck Monday to check on the driver.

Sleeping driver leads to drugs, guns being seized: Mounties say

Surrey Police investigating arson at local business

Surrey Police investigating arson at local business
Surrey Police Service (SPS) is investigating a targeted arson that caused extensive damage to three large trucks at Elegant Glass & Shower Mirrors in Surrey early Monday morning.

Surrey Police investigating arson at local business