Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds fine passengers on Sunwing party flight

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Mar, 2022 02:30 PM
  • Feds fine passengers on Sunwing party flight

MONTREAL - Passengers are paying a pricey penalty for partying onboard a Sunwing flight last year that devolved into a raucous onboard soirée.

The federal Transport Department said Tuesday it issued unspecified fines against six passengers.

Videos of the charter voyage from Montreal to Cancun, Mexico, shared on social media show unmasked passengers in close proximity singing and dancing in the aisle and on seats as some clutch bottles of liquor, snap selfies and vape.

A half-dozen passengers who were not fully vaccinated when they boarded have now received penalties that could reach a maximum of $5,000 each, Transport Canada said. Under COVID-19 rules, all passengers must be fully vaccinated to board a flight departing the country.

“Certain behaviours reported in connection with the flight on Dec. 30, 2021, are unacceptable and will not be tolerated," Transport Minister Omar Alghabra said in a release. "Aviation rules must be respected by everyone, for the sake of everyone’s safety."

Transport Canada launched an investigation on Jan. 4 to determine whether travellers violated laws or regulations around aviation safety and security.

Sunwing has said in an email that passengers — some were Quebec-based social media influencers — violated aviation regulations and public health rules via “unruly behaviour,” prompting an internal probe.

The flight took off about two weeks after the federal government advised Canadians to avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada.

The organizer of the controversial trip said in late January that Sunwing unfairly abandoned his group in Mexico.

James William Awad told reporters that the Toronto-based airline, along with Air Canada and Air Transat, should be “ashamed” of themselves for refusing to fly the young travellers back to Canada based on videos of the flight that circulated online.

The airlines stranded 154 Canadians in the Yucatán Peninsula without knowing whether they could afford to keep paying for hotels and food, he said.

Weeks earlier, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau described the group as “idiots” and barbarians.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 8, 2022.

MORE National ARTICLES

Tens of thousands have 'long COVID-19' symptoms

Tens of thousands have 'long COVID-19' symptoms
In a brief released today, the Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table says the symptoms of so-called long COVID can last from weeks to months after contracting the virus.    

Tens of thousands have 'long COVID-19' symptoms

Suspect allegedly involved in two shootings in Richmond in-custody

Suspect allegedly involved in two shootings in Richmond in-custody
There are no concerns for public safety at this time. The motive for these shootings and whether there is a nexus to the Lowermainland gang conflict are still under investigation.

Suspect allegedly involved in two shootings in Richmond in-custody

Health workers in B.C. must get COVID-19 vaccine

Health workers in B.C. must get COVID-19 vaccine
Dr.Henry says about 15,000 British Columbians who are severely immunocompromised will receive a third dose in accordance with guidance from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization. They include those who've received an organ, bone marrow or stem cell transplant.

Health workers in B.C. must get COVID-19 vaccine

1,984 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1,984 COVID19 cases over 3 days
 85.8% (3,978,624) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 78.4% (3,632,547) received their second dose.

1,984 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Saini stands to get $93,000 'golden goodbye'

Saini stands to get $93,000 'golden goodbye'
The former MP for Kitchener Centre stepped down after facing allegations that he harassed a female staff member, claims he firmly denies. Saini is entitled to a $92,900 severance cheque, worth half his $185,800 MP's salary.

Saini stands to get $93,000 'golden goodbye'

B.C. projects lower deficit, uneven recovery

B.C. projects lower deficit, uneven recovery
Finance Minister Selina Robinson says the province's financial statement for the first three months of the 2021-22 fiscal year projects a deficit of $4.8 billion, about half the $9.7 billion that was originally forecast in the budget.    

B.C. projects lower deficit, uneven recovery