Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds fine passengers on Sunwing party flight

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Mar, 2022 02:30 PM
  • Feds fine passengers on Sunwing party flight

MONTREAL - Passengers are paying a pricey penalty for partying onboard a Sunwing flight last year that devolved into a raucous onboard soirée.

The federal Transport Department said Tuesday it issued unspecified fines against six passengers.

Videos of the charter voyage from Montreal to Cancun, Mexico, shared on social media show unmasked passengers in close proximity singing and dancing in the aisle and on seats as some clutch bottles of liquor, snap selfies and vape.

A half-dozen passengers who were not fully vaccinated when they boarded have now received penalties that could reach a maximum of $5,000 each, Transport Canada said. Under COVID-19 rules, all passengers must be fully vaccinated to board a flight departing the country.

“Certain behaviours reported in connection with the flight on Dec. 30, 2021, are unacceptable and will not be tolerated," Transport Minister Omar Alghabra said in a release. "Aviation rules must be respected by everyone, for the sake of everyone’s safety."

Transport Canada launched an investigation on Jan. 4 to determine whether travellers violated laws or regulations around aviation safety and security.

Sunwing has said in an email that passengers — some were Quebec-based social media influencers — violated aviation regulations and public health rules via “unruly behaviour,” prompting an internal probe.

The flight took off about two weeks after the federal government advised Canadians to avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada.

The organizer of the controversial trip said in late January that Sunwing unfairly abandoned his group in Mexico.

James William Awad told reporters that the Toronto-based airline, along with Air Canada and Air Transat, should be “ashamed” of themselves for refusing to fly the young travellers back to Canada based on videos of the flight that circulated online.

The airlines stranded 154 Canadians in the Yucatán Peninsula without knowing whether they could afford to keep paying for hotels and food, he said.

Weeks earlier, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau described the group as “idiots” and barbarians.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 8, 2022.

MORE National ARTICLES

Four leaders square off in first campaign debate

Four leaders square off in first campaign debate
Only four leaders — the Liberals' Justin Trudeau, the Conservatives' Erin O'Toole, the Bloc Québécois' Yves-Francois Blanchet and the NDP's Jagmeet Singh — will take part.

Four leaders square off in first campaign debate

August home sales slowed, prices rose: REBGV

August home sales slowed, prices rose: REBGV
The board says August home sales in the region totalled 3,152, a 3.4 per cent increase from 3,047 last August, but a 5.2 per cent decrease from 3,326 in July. The board says sales last month were about 20 per cent higher than the 10-year August sales average.    

August home sales slowed, prices rose: REBGV

A look at vaccine passports across Canada

A look at vaccine passports across Canada
Starting Sept. 13, people will have to show proof of having had a single dose of a vaccine to enter gyms, fitness centres and casinos. After Oct. 24, those aged 12 and older will need to be fully vaccinated at least seven days earlier. The government says the B.C. Vaccine Card will be downloaded onto mobile phones.

A look at vaccine passports across Canada

785 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

785 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
B.C. added 785 new COVID-19 cases for Wednesday. There have now been 166,853 cases of COVID-19 in B.C. since the pandemic began, as well as 1,818 related deaths.

785 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Threatening note received at Langley Islamic Center

Threatening note received at Langley Islamic Center
Investigators have engaged the BC Hate Crime Unit and INSET (Integrated National Security Enforcement Team) to collaborate and are endeavouring to identify the author of the note and following all investigative avenues in this investigation.

Threatening note received at Langley Islamic Center

Burnaby RCMP ask for public assistance in identifying a suspect that may have been involved in3 unprovoked assaults

Burnaby RCMP ask for public assistance in identifying a suspect that may have been involved in3 unprovoked assaults
On Monday, August 30, at approximately 1:40 p.m., an unknown man approached a 25-year-old woman and wrestled her to the ground in the area of Edmonds Street and Canada Way. It’s believed the victim may have been followed for a short distance.    

Burnaby RCMP ask for public assistance in identifying a suspect that may have been involved in3 unprovoked assaults