Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Mar, 2022 11:34 AM
  • Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

OTTAWA - Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says the federal government will commit another $2 billion to help provincial health systems work through their surgical and diagnostic backlogs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The money, included in the newly tabled Bill C-17, follows a $4-billion top-up to the federal health transfer last summer and is expected to be a one-time payment, distributed equally based on population.

Throughout the pandemic hospitals across the country had to delay non-emergency procedures to make way for urgent COVID-19 cases.

That has led to delayed care for millions of Canadians, on top of already lengthy wait lists for many procedures and diagnostic tests.

In a report released last month, the Ontario Medical Association estimated the pandemic had delayed 21 million patient services in that province alone, including surgeries for preventative care, cancer screenings and diagnostic tests.

In addition, it said doctors are reporting that patients "who would have been diagnosed and treated sooner are coming in later and sicker" because of the pandemic.

"These delays are a burden that can be very hard to bear for the affected patients, their families and their loved ones, as well as for the health-care workers caring for them," Duclos said.

The Liberals promised an immediate $6-billion investment to address backlogs during the 2021 federal election campaign.

Provinces have been asking for the federal government to provide an increased share of health spending on a long-term basis so they can make more sustainable changes to address the stress on their health-care systems.

Duclos laid out what he called the federal government's vision for collaboration with the provinces and territories on health care, citing bilateral deals the government has made in child care and housing as an example.

"We need to acknowledge that if we do not act quickly and decisively, the long-term survival of the universal and public health system Canadians cherish is at risk," Duclos said.

"Canadians are not interested in a jurisdictional debate or a fiscal or financial fight."

This collaboration will focus on five priority areas, the minister said: backlogs and recruitment and retention of health-care workers; access to primary care; long-term care and home care; mental health and addictions; and digital health and virtual care.

Bill C-17 would also provide municipalities the authority to deal with transit shortfalls and improve housing supply and affordability, in partnership with the provinces and territories.

The federal government already announced a transfer of $750 million, a one-time payment to help cities maintain service levels despite decreased transit ridership as a result of the pandemic.

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman on a mobility scooter suffered injuries in a collision with a dump truck

Woman on a mobility scooter suffered injuries in a collision with a dump truck
The woman was pinned under the dump truck, and bystanders and the driver of the dump truck assisted her with emergency first aid. This file remains under investigation.

Woman on a mobility scooter suffered injuries in a collision with a dump truck

Canada welcomes fully vaxxed foreign nationals

Canada welcomes fully vaxxed foreign nationals
To be eligible, travellers must have allowed at least 14 days to pass since their last vaccine shot and show proof of a negative molecular test for COVID-19 that's no more than 72 hours old.

Canada welcomes fully vaxxed foreign nationals

Trudeau says throwing rocks is 'unacceptable'

Trudeau says throwing rocks is 'unacceptable'
The London stop is the latest Liberal tour event to be sidetracked by the arrival of what Trudeau called an "anti-vaxxer mob" but the first where he was physically assaulted.

Trudeau says throwing rocks is 'unacceptable'

Details of B.C.'s vaccine passport to be released

Details of B.C.'s vaccine passport to be released
The province had confirmed that a vaccine card system would begin Sept. 13, requiring proof of at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine in order to enter restaurants, movies, ticketed sporting events and many other non-essential venues.

Details of B.C.'s vaccine passport to be released

Surrey mayor Doug McCallum hit by a vehicle on Saturday

Surrey mayor Doug McCallum hit by a vehicle on Saturday
The mayor of Surrey says he was “verbally assaulted” and hit by a car on Saturday. Doug McCallum says the incident happened when he was out grocery shopping.

Surrey mayor Doug McCallum hit by a vehicle on Saturday

Poll: most Canadians favour vaccine passport

Poll: most Canadians favour vaccine passport
The poll also suggests Canadians were largely split on whether the reopening of in-person learning at elementary and secondary schools changed any concerns they had about the Delta variant.

Poll: most Canadians favour vaccine passport