Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Mar, 2022 11:34 AM
  • Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

OTTAWA - Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says the federal government will commit another $2 billion to help provincial health systems work through their surgical and diagnostic backlogs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The money, included in the newly tabled Bill C-17, follows a $4-billion top-up to the federal health transfer last summer and is expected to be a one-time payment, distributed equally based on population.

Throughout the pandemic hospitals across the country had to delay non-emergency procedures to make way for urgent COVID-19 cases.

That has led to delayed care for millions of Canadians, on top of already lengthy wait lists for many procedures and diagnostic tests.

In a report released last month, the Ontario Medical Association estimated the pandemic had delayed 21 million patient services in that province alone, including surgeries for preventative care, cancer screenings and diagnostic tests.

In addition, it said doctors are reporting that patients "who would have been diagnosed and treated sooner are coming in later and sicker" because of the pandemic.

"These delays are a burden that can be very hard to bear for the affected patients, their families and their loved ones, as well as for the health-care workers caring for them," Duclos said.

The Liberals promised an immediate $6-billion investment to address backlogs during the 2021 federal election campaign.

Provinces have been asking for the federal government to provide an increased share of health spending on a long-term basis so they can make more sustainable changes to address the stress on their health-care systems.

Duclos laid out what he called the federal government's vision for collaboration with the provinces and territories on health care, citing bilateral deals the government has made in child care and housing as an example.

"We need to acknowledge that if we do not act quickly and decisively, the long-term survival of the universal and public health system Canadians cherish is at risk," Duclos said.

"Canadians are not interested in a jurisdictional debate or a fiscal or financial fight."

This collaboration will focus on five priority areas, the minister said: backlogs and recruitment and retention of health-care workers; access to primary care; long-term care and home care; mental health and addictions; and digital health and virtual care.

Bill C-17 would also provide municipalities the authority to deal with transit shortfalls and improve housing supply and affordability, in partnership with the provinces and territories.

The federal government already announced a transfer of $750 million, a one-time payment to help cities maintain service levels despite decreased transit ridership as a result of the pandemic.

MORE National ARTICLES

Weekend showers forecast over many B.C. wildfires

Weekend showers forecast over many B.C. wildfires
The BC Wildfire Service says an initial attack crew of 10 people and several aircraft were working with firefighters from numerous local fire departments and more resources are expected to be assigned.

Weekend showers forecast over many B.C. wildfires

PICS drug and gang free communities rally receives positive response

PICS drug and gang free communities rally receives positive response
LA Matheson Secondary School Teacher Annie O Hana delivered a powerful message on the importance of Surrey not being targeted when it comes to drugs and gangs and this issue is not just a Surrey problem but a global problem.

PICS drug and gang free communities rally receives positive response

689 COVID19 cases for Thursday

689 COVID19 cases for Thursday
82.9% (3,842,302) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 74.0% (3,431,103) received their second dose.    

689 COVID19 cases for Thursday

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing person- Alfaz Ismail

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing person- Alfaz Ismail
UPDATE:  Surrey RCMP advises that the 35-year-old male, who was reported missing on August 19, 2021 has been located and is safe. Thank you to the public, media, and our policing and community partners for their assistance.  

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing person- Alfaz Ismail

VPD officer assaulted in an ambulance while escorting patient

VPD officer assaulted in an ambulance while escorting patient
While in the ambulance, the man became aggressive, and punched the officer in the face. A struggle ensued, but police were able to help restrain him until they arrived safely at the hospital.

VPD officer assaulted in an ambulance while escorting patient

Barriers persist as military lands in Afghanistan

Barriers persist as military lands in Afghanistan
The Department of National Defence Canada announced this week that two C-17 transport aircraft had been deployed to conduct regular flights out of Kabul, and Trudeau revealed while campaigning as Liberal party leader in Victoria that the first troops are now on the ground.

Barriers persist as military lands in Afghanistan