Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to target need with housing cash, Hussen says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Apr, 2022 12:11 PM
  • Feds to target need with housing cash, Hussen says

OTTAWA - Canada's housing minister says federal funding to ramp up the pace of new builds will also look to target the kind of homes required to meet the changing needs of Canadians.

Housing Minister Ahmed Hussen said the budget's plan to double housing starts over the next decade will aim to incentivize the construction of units needed by seniors who are downsizing, for example, as well as newcomer families.

Last week's budget unveiled some $10 billion in new spending on housing, on top of the national housing strategy unveiled in 2017 that now carries a price tag north of $70 billion.

Much of new spending is focused on boosting the supply of homes that the government says has lagged behind the pace of population growth and helped drive up historically high prices.

Canada's population over the past five years grew at almost double the rate of any other G7 nation. The latest census figures show that of the 1.8 million more people here in 2021 compared with 2016, four in every five were immigrants.

The government has unveiled ambitious immigration plans to boost the number of newcomers in the coming years, and Hussen said those plans could be threatened absent a similar jump in housing starts.

The Liberals' latest immigration targets would see more than 1.3 million new permanent residents settled in Canada by 2024, and keep adding apace to offset low birthrates and an aging population.

"We realize that housing is becoming … a threat to our ability to not only integrate folks but to also economically develop regions in Canada," Hussen said in an interview.

"Housing, although it can be seen as a challenge, it's also an opportunity for us to grow."

Home prices have continued their rise through the pandemic as rock-bottom interest rates and desire for more space fuelled demand.

The latest figures from the Canadian Real Estate Association showed the average national home price was a record $816,720 in February, up 20.6 per cent from the same month one year earlier, and heavily influenced by sales in and around Vancouver and Toronto.

Figures for March will be released next week.

The Liberals are hoping to unlock new development primarily through a $4-billion, five-year fund for cities to cut red tape and speed up approvals for new developments.

The government believes that upping supply will over time alleviate price pressures in the market, and the pay-for-performance fund would create about five per cent, or 100,000 new units, of the extra 1.9 million the Liberals want to build over the coming decade.

Hussen said the money would only go to cities that provide what he called a healthier mix of housing, including around transit hubs, and not necessarily all single-family homes.

An online analysis of Statistics Canada data shows there has been a drop in the construction of family homes in favour of smaller units like condominiums.

Mike Moffatt, senior director of policy and innovation at the Smart Prosperity Institute, wrote that a weakness in the budget plan for housing was the lack of emphasis on the need for family-friendly units. He recommended the government set a target for units with three bedrooms or more.

Constructing any new units at the pace the government wants will also require new workers that Hussen noted could include new immigrants.

The latest jobs figures show a steady rise in construction positions, including four straight months of gains up to March that Statistics Canada said coincided with steady growth in building since the fall of 2021.

The government is looking to make sure it can continue that growth, alongside new construction, pointing to promised spending on skills training and immigration, Hussen said.

He said the spending is part of federal plans to build "all kinds of housing across the spectrum," while also keeping an eye on "the necessary skills and the necessary people that will get us there. We have to get that right, absolutely."

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada extends travel exemption for South Africa

Canada extends travel exemption for South Africa
The federal government is extending, and slightly expanding, a travel exemption for Canadians trying to return home from South Africa. Earlier this month, the government lifted a requirement for Canadian travellers from South Africa to have a negative COVID-19 molecular test result in a third country before coming to Canada.

Canada extends travel exemption for South Africa

Some universities cancel in-person exams

Some universities cancel in-person exams
The University of Victoria in British Columbia will not be holding any further in-person exams this month. The school said its instructors have been asked to offer alternative exams online or in another format.

Some universities cancel in-person exams

When will the pandemic end? Tam is optimistic

When will the pandemic end? Tam is optimistic
Canada is expecting a potentially massive surge in cases in the coming weeks, driven by the new Omicron variant already spreading through communities, said Dr. Theresa Tam. While COVID-19 might be with us for many years to come, Tam is optimistic the pandemic could end in the foreseeable future.

When will the pandemic end? Tam is optimistic

Feds failed victims of military misconduct: Anand

Feds failed victims of military misconduct: Anand
Streamed online from National Defence Headquarters, the apology followed the federal government’s $600-million settlement with tens of thousands of current and former Armed Forces members who experienced such behaviour while serving.

Feds failed victims of military misconduct: Anand

Heavy snow expected for parts of southern B.C.

Heavy snow expected for parts of southern B.C.
The agency says a low-pressure system is moving into the southern part of the province starting Monday night and is expected to stay on until Tuesday, bringing up to 20 centimetres of snow in some areas.

Heavy snow expected for parts of southern B.C.

Gas rationing after flood lifting in B.C.

Gas rationing after flood lifting in B.C.
The British Columbia government is lifting a restriction on gasoline for the general public that was put in place after flooding and landslides cut off supply. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the 30-litre limit per visit to the pumps proved effective and will lift on Tuesday.

Gas rationing after flood lifting in B.C.