Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire sparked by RCMP trailer near Lytton, B.C., is being held and will be downgraded

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jul, 2025 09:44 AM
  • Fire sparked by RCMP trailer near Lytton, B.C., is being held and will be downgraded

A wildfire near Lytton, B.C., that ignited when a wheel fell off an RCMP trailer and prompted evacuations is now classified as "being held" and is no longer likely to spread.

The BC Wildfire Service says the change is due to "significant efforts" of firefighters with the help of favourable weather, which means the Izman Creek blaze will no longer be considered a wildfire of note.

Once the fire loses that classification — which designates a fire is generating particular interest, is highly visible or a threat to public safety — there will be no wildfires of note in B.C. 

The wildfire north of Lytton was sparked on July 1 by the RCMP vehicle failure in what Mounties have said was an unfortunate incident, a day after the fourth anniversary of a fire that destroyed most of the village.

The service says staff will remain on-site at the wildfire, which is listed as about 240 hectares in size, to continue mop-up and patrol to "ensure the area remains secure."

It is one of about 80 active fires across the province, about 20 per cent of which are classified as burning out of control.

The wildfire service says about 77 per cent of the fires are lightning-caused while about 20 per cent are human-caused and the rest are undetermined. 

The BC Wildfire Service also says in a post to Facebook that it has also deployed air tankers to help wildfire suppression efforts on a blaze in Washington state, south of Highway 3, between Christina Lake and Trail.

"At this time there is no threat to the Canada-US border," the post says.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Handout — BC Wildfire Service 

MORE National ARTICLES

Crackdown on retail theft in Richmond with a 22% increase in arrests for the crime

Crackdown on retail theft in Richmond with a 22% increase in arrests for the crime
Mounties in Richmond say a crackdown on retail theft in the city has been successful with a 22 per cent increase in arrests for the crime. RCMP officers responded to more than 17-hundred shoplifting reports in the city last year -- an increase of 25 per cent compared with 2023.

Crackdown on retail theft in Richmond with a 22% increase in arrests for the crime

Overnight shooting in Newton

Overnight shooting in Newton
Police in Surrey are investigating an overnight shooting at a home in the Newton neighbourhood. They say that shortly after one this morning, a resident on the 71-hundred block of 128th street reported coming home to find several gunshot holes in the side of their house.

Overnight shooting in Newton

With the House of Commons prorogued, some key Liberal legislation may not pass

With the House of Commons prorogued, some key Liberal legislation may not pass
Gov. Gen. Mary Simon granted Justin Trudeau's request Monday to prorogue Parliament until Mar. 24, suspending activities of the House of Commons while the Liberals move to replace him as both Liberal Leader and prime minister. The move means the legislative agenda will be reset once the House of Commons reconvenes in March and some key pieces of legislation for the government may die on the order paper. 

With the House of Commons prorogued, some key Liberal legislation may not pass

Trump responds to Trudeau's resignation with dig about 51st state

Trump responds to Trudeau's resignation with dig about 51st state
Trump reiterated his rhetoric about Canada joining the United States in a post on Truth Social after Trudeau’s announcement that he will resign as Liberal leader and prime minister as soon as a new leader is chosen.

Trump responds to Trudeau's resignation with dig about 51st state

WestJet flight attendants launch lawsuit

WestJet flight attendants launch lawsuit
The B-C Supreme Court says WestJet must turn over harassment complaint files spanning years covered by a long-running class-action lawsuit launched by flight attendants over alleged sexual harassment by company pilots. The court ruling says WestJet has been slow to hand over documents in the case, which was filed in 2016 by lead plaintiff Mandalena Lewis.

WestJet flight attendants launch lawsuit

Men convicted in death of family crossing Manitoba border seek acquittal, new trial

Men convicted in death of family crossing Manitoba border seek acquittal, new trial
The two men found guilty of human smuggling in the case of a family from India who froze to death while trying to walk across the Canada-U.S. border in Manitoba in 2022 are seeking acquittal, or new trials. The two men, Steve Shand of Florida and Harshkumar Patel, an Indian national arrested in Chicago, were convicted by a Minnesota jury in November on all four counts each were facing.

Men convicted in death of family crossing Manitoba border seek acquittal, new trial