Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Flight 752 report from Iran missing evidence: TSB

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Mar, 2021 04:45 PM
  • Flight 752 report from Iran missing evidence: TSB

Canada's Transportation Safety Board says a report from Iran on the downing of a passenger jet by its military in January 2020 doesn't explain why the tragedy happened.

Board chair Kathy Fox says the final report does not include a detailed explanation or evidence about the underlying factors that caused Iran's military to fire two surface-to-air missiles at Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752.

All 176 people on board the jetliner were killed, including 55 Canadian citizens, 30 permanent residents and dozens of others bound for Canada.

Fox says the TSB, Canada's air-safety investigator, does not believe the results from the review will reduce the risk to commercial airlines operating in Iran's airspace.

It is unusual for the TSB to comment on the results of a report into an incident that took place in another country. Under international civil aviation rules, the country where the incident took place is in charge of the investigation.

But Fox says the "unprecedented situation" where the Iranian military effectively oversaw the investigation, the agency felt it had to speak out about its concerns with the final report.

The final report from Iran's civil aviation body blamed "human error" as the reason why the Revolutionary Guard shot down the jetliner minutes after it took off from Tehran on Jan. 8 last year.

The Canadian government has rejected the report outright, describing it as "incomplete" and devoid of "hard facts or evidence."

Iran's Civil Aviation Organization said an operator fired two surface-to-air missiles after misidentifying the Boeing 737-800 as a "hostile target" and despite not getting a green light from superiors, per procedure.

Fox says Iran has not provided evidence to support the scenario, noting it is "a plausible explanation for what happened."

A group representing families of the victims also dismissed the report findings as riddled with inconsistencies and "fabrications" that are "grossly inadequate" to explain the shootdown.

Iran initially denied responsibility for the crash, but three days later said the Kyiv-bound aircraft was shot down by accident after being mistaken for a missile amid heightened tensions with the United States. The admission came after video footage on social media appeared to show at least one missile striking the jet.

The disaster unfolded hours after Iran launched missiles into Iraq at two American military bases in retaliation for the U.S. having killed top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani near the Baghdad airport by order of then-U.S. president Donald Trump.

Fox says the report only partially explains why the airspace remained open and active for commercial airlines after the military action.

"It does not explain any of the underlying factors behind why the missiles were launched at PS752, the stated cause of this tragedy," Fox says.

"In short, the report says what happened, but doesn’t address the why."

Ralph Goodale, the former Liberal public safety minister who was named Canada's special adviser on the response to the crash, called the report unconvincing, "shambolic" and "insulting" to loved ones.

Britain, Ukraine, Afghanistan and Sweden also lost citizens when the plane was destroyed, and the countries formed a coalition with Canada to deal with Iran, demanding reparations and a more transparent report.

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds change sick-leave benefit after travel anger

Feds change sick-leave benefit after travel anger
The sickness benefit pays $500 per week for up to two weeks for anyone who has to quarantine because of COVID-19.

Feds change sick-leave benefit after travel anger

Suspected impaired crash in central B.C.

Suspected impaired crash in central B.C.
RCMP say it happened Sunday on Highway 5 just north of Vavenby when a northbound beige SUV slammed head-on into a black SUV.

Suspected impaired crash in central B.C.

COVID outbreak at Vancouver hospital spreads

COVID outbreak at Vancouver hospital spreads
The memo, issued late Sunday on behalf of centre directors Amanda Harvey and Dr. Sean Virani, says the outbreak is on units 5A, 5B and the Cardiac Care Intensive Care Unit.

COVID outbreak at Vancouver hospital spreads

Obeying COVID-19 rules saves lives: B.C. officials

Obeying COVID-19 rules saves lives: B.C. officials
B.C. reported 617 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday and 18 more deaths, bringing the provincial toll to 988.

Obeying COVID-19 rules saves lives: B.C. officials

Group fights B.C. government's COVID-19 rules

Group fights B.C. government's COVID-19 rules
A petition filed by the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms also asks the B.C. Supreme Court to dismiss tickets of up to $2,300 for alleged violations of the public health orders.

Group fights B.C. government's COVID-19 rules

New work permit for some international students

New work permit for some international students
Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino says former students who hold post-graduation work permits that have expired or will soon expire can now apply for open work permits.

New work permit for some international students