Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2025 09:24 AM
  • Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he doesn't believe U.S. President Donald Trump will follow through on his threat to hit Canada with an additional 10 per cent tariff over Ontario's anti-tariff ad campaign.

Speaking in the provincial legislature this morning, Ford said he's confident tariffs "aren't going to go up" and other premiers are on board with his approach.

Ford also claimed the campaign was the "most successful ad in the history of North America."

Trump said he suspended trade talks with Canada and plans to impose 10 per cent tariffs in retaliation for Ontario's ad, which ran in major U.S. television markets.

The ad features former U.S. president Ronald Reagan warning that tariffs lead to trade wars and damage economies in the long run.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Ottawa and Washington were close to a deal on steel, aluminum and energy when Trump suddenly cut off trade talks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

MORE National ARTICLES

Cutting energy to U.S. in response to Trump tariffs is 'absurd,' says Bloc leader

Cutting energy to U.S. in response to Trump tariffs is 'absurd,' says Bloc leader
Yves-François Blanchet's position runs counter to that of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and most premiers — including Quebec's François Legault — who have said everything is on the table in negotiations with the Trump administration. Blanchet told The Canadian Press in an interview Monday that Canada's best response would be counter-tariffs and it would be "absurd" to cut energy exports.

Cutting energy to U.S. in response to Trump tariffs is 'absurd,' says Bloc leader

Legal arguments to continue next week in five hockey players' sex assault case

Legal arguments to continue next week in five hockey players' sex assault case
More legal arguments are expected next week in the sexual assault case of five former members of Canada's world junior hockey team as they prepare to face trial this spring. Dillon Dube, Carter Hart, Michael McLeod, Cal Foote and Alex Formenton were charged with sexual assault early last year in an incident that allegedly took place in London, Ont., nearly six years earlier.

Legal arguments to continue next week in five hockey players' sex assault case

Trudeau says 'everything is on the table' for response to Trump tariffs

Trudeau says 'everything is on the table' for response to Trump tariffs
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday that if President Donald Trump wants to usher in a "golden age" for the United States, he'll need the energy, critical minerals and resources that Canada is ready to provide. The federal cabinet is meeting in Montebello, Que., for a retreat focused on the Canada-U. S. trade strategy.

Trudeau says 'everything is on the table' for response to Trump tariffs

Parts of tundra releasing more carbon than they absorb: study

Parts of tundra releasing more carbon than they absorb: study
The study, published in the peer-reviewed journal Nature Climate Change, said the change appeared to have taken place in "many tundra regions" and called it a "noteworthy shift in carbon dynamics."

Parts of tundra releasing more carbon than they absorb: study

More than a third of Canadians turn to online info due to lack of doctor access: poll

More than a third of Canadians turn to online info due to lack of doctor access: poll
A new poll suggests more than a third of Canadians say they have no choice but to seek health information online because they don’t have access to a doctor, further highlighting challenges posed by an ongoing physician shortage. 

More than a third of Canadians turn to online info due to lack of doctor access: poll

Liberal leadership hopefuls distance themselves from carbon pricing

Liberal leadership hopefuls distance themselves from carbon pricing
The three frontrunners in the Liberal leadership race have all backed away — to one degree or another — from the Liberal government's keystone climate policy in a bid to take a major Conservative line of attack off the table. The Liberals first campaigned on a carbon price in 2008 and moved to make it happen following Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's election win in 2015.

Liberal leadership hopefuls distance themselves from carbon pricing