Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Sep, 2021 05:18 PM
  • Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

KELOWNA, B.C. - A former British Columbia social worker accused of stealing money from foster children under his care has pleaded guilty in a Kelowna court.

The BC Prosecution Service says Robert Riley Saunders pleaded guilty to fraud over $5,000, breach of trust in connection with his duties as a child protection worker and causing the province to act on a forged document. 

Saunders faced 13 charges arising from a three-year investigation by RCMP that included 10 counts of fraud over $5,000. 

Dan McLaughlin, communications counsel for the prosecution service, says they anticipate the outstanding charges will be stayed at the completion of his sentencing hearing set for March 21. 

The B.C. Supreme Court approved a settlement last year in a class-action lawsuit brought against Saunders and the provincial government by more than 100 children who claimed the social worker stole from them. 

Several lawsuits were filed before the settlement, alleging Saunders had moved the children from stable homes in order to make them eligible for financial benefits from the ministry. 

Statements of claim alleged Saunders took the funds deposited in their accounts, leaving them homeless and vulnerable to addiction and physical and sexual abuse. 

The notice of settlement said each member would get a basic $25,000 payment and those who are Indigenous would get an additional $44,000. 

Further damages could be paid to those who experienced homelessness, psychological harm, sexual exploitation or injury, or whose education was delayed, the settlement said. 

Both Saunders and the ministry were named as defendants in the lawsuits, but the former social worker never filed a response. 

The B.C. government wasn't immediately available to comment on the plea, but it said in a statement in a settlement agreement filed last July that Saunders harmed children in the director's care and the province was "vicariously liable for the harm caused" by the man.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. seniors' care staff must be vaccinated

B.C. seniors' care staff must be vaccinated
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says people living in such settings are at particular risk to COVID-19 and transmission from unvaccinated people has led to outbreaks.

B.C. seniors' care staff must be vaccinated

Nearly 270 wildfires burn across B.C.

Nearly 270 wildfires burn across B.C.
Fire information officer Erika Berg says heat and gusty winds are raising concern across the Kamloops and southern Cariboo regions.

Nearly 270 wildfires burn across B.C.

WATCH: PICS invites you to be part of their drug and gang free community rally on August 19

WATCH: PICS invites you to be part of their drug and gang free community rally on August 19
The Campaign is called Reach which stands for Realize, Educate, Accept, Communicate a Help in order to create a greater awareness and share available resources. This initiative of PICS is to address the issue of illicit drug dose deaths in BC as well as the ongoing gang conflict.

WATCH: PICS invites you to be part of their drug and gang free community rally on August 19

PBO estimates feds will profit in Air Canada deal

PBO estimates feds will profit in Air Canada deal
The package included the government taking a six per cent stake in the airline for $500 million, plus offering about $4 billion in secured and unsecured credit for operating and regular business expenses, and a separate $1.4 billion in unsecured credit earmarked to refund travellers impacted by COVID-19.

PBO estimates feds will profit in Air Canada deal

Canada to donate unused Johnson & Johnson vaccines

Canada to donate unused Johnson & Johnson vaccines
Procurement Minister Anita Anand announced the donation through the COVAX vaccine-sharing alliance today as many developing nations continue to struggle with a shortage of shots.

Canada to donate unused Johnson & Johnson vaccines

Meng's formal extradition hearing enters Day 2

Meng's formal extradition hearing enters Day 2
Meng Wanzhou, who is the Chinese telecom giant's CFO and daughter of the company's founder, is facing extradition to the United States on fraud charges that both she and the company deny.

Meng's formal extradition hearing enters Day 2