Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Sep, 2021 05:18 PM
  • Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

KELOWNA, B.C. - A former British Columbia social worker accused of stealing money from foster children under his care has pleaded guilty in a Kelowna court.

The BC Prosecution Service says Robert Riley Saunders pleaded guilty to fraud over $5,000, breach of trust in connection with his duties as a child protection worker and causing the province to act on a forged document. 

Saunders faced 13 charges arising from a three-year investigation by RCMP that included 10 counts of fraud over $5,000. 

Dan McLaughlin, communications counsel for the prosecution service, says they anticipate the outstanding charges will be stayed at the completion of his sentencing hearing set for March 21. 

The B.C. Supreme Court approved a settlement last year in a class-action lawsuit brought against Saunders and the provincial government by more than 100 children who claimed the social worker stole from them. 

Several lawsuits were filed before the settlement, alleging Saunders had moved the children from stable homes in order to make them eligible for financial benefits from the ministry. 

Statements of claim alleged Saunders took the funds deposited in their accounts, leaving them homeless and vulnerable to addiction and physical and sexual abuse. 

The notice of settlement said each member would get a basic $25,000 payment and those who are Indigenous would get an additional $44,000. 

Further damages could be paid to those who experienced homelessness, psychological harm, sexual exploitation or injury, or whose education was delayed, the settlement said. 

Both Saunders and the ministry were named as defendants in the lawsuits, but the former social worker never filed a response. 

The B.C. government wasn't immediately available to comment on the plea, but it said in a statement in a settlement agreement filed last July that Saunders harmed children in the director's care and the province was "vicariously liable for the harm caused" by the man.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey RCMP need public's help in finding missing teen from Guildford neighborhood

Surrey RCMP need public's help in finding missing teen from Guildford neighborhood
Maria Dewolfe-Broad was last seen at Guildford Mall on July 30, 2021. Family and police are concerned for her wellbeing due to the length of time she has been out of contact.

Surrey RCMP need public's help in finding missing teen from Guildford neighborhood

More structures lost in main B.C. fire

More structures lost in main B.C. fire
The fire has moved eastward since then, prompting evacuation orders and alerts by four regional districts, two First Nations and the City of Vernon, while orders or alerts for other communities, including Falkland, Armstrong, Chase and the Spallumcheen township, have since been lifted.

More structures lost in main B.C. fire

Vaccine passports for travel coming

Vaccine passports for travel coming
The document, expected to be ready by the fall, will be digital, with an option for those who can't or don't want a digital certificate. Mendicino says it will include data on the type of vaccines received, the dates, and the location.

Vaccine passports for travel coming

Vancouver Police saw a 129 % increase in stranger sexual assaults in July

Vancouver Police saw a 129 % increase in stranger sexual assaults in July
Since July 1 of this year, there have been eight incidents related to the Granville Entertainment District. The eight incidents range from unwanted touching (groping) to forced sexual intercourse. In July alone, there have been 16 reported stranger sexual assaults throughout Vancouver, compared to 10 in July of 2020 and 7 in July of 2019.

Vancouver Police saw a 129 % increase in stranger sexual assaults in July

Heat warnings raise wildfire anxiety in B.C.

Heat warnings raise wildfire anxiety in B.C.
The BC Wildfire Service fire danger map shows risk levels have returned to high or extreme across southern Vancouver Island and most of the central Interior following last weekend's showers.

Heat warnings raise wildfire anxiety in B.C.

Garneau condemns Chinese sentence on Spavor

Garneau condemns Chinese sentence on Spavor
Garneau in a news conference said the government condemns "in the strongest possible terms" the prison sentence, which followed a closed-door trial in March in which Spavor was found guilty of spying on China.

Garneau condemns Chinese sentence on Spavor