Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Sep, 2021 05:18 PM
  • Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

KELOWNA, B.C. - A former British Columbia social worker accused of stealing money from foster children under his care has pleaded guilty in a Kelowna court.

The BC Prosecution Service says Robert Riley Saunders pleaded guilty to fraud over $5,000, breach of trust in connection with his duties as a child protection worker and causing the province to act on a forged document. 

Saunders faced 13 charges arising from a three-year investigation by RCMP that included 10 counts of fraud over $5,000. 

Dan McLaughlin, communications counsel for the prosecution service, says they anticipate the outstanding charges will be stayed at the completion of his sentencing hearing set for March 21. 

The B.C. Supreme Court approved a settlement last year in a class-action lawsuit brought against Saunders and the provincial government by more than 100 children who claimed the social worker stole from them. 

Several lawsuits were filed before the settlement, alleging Saunders had moved the children from stable homes in order to make them eligible for financial benefits from the ministry. 

Statements of claim alleged Saunders took the funds deposited in their accounts, leaving them homeless and vulnerable to addiction and physical and sexual abuse. 

The notice of settlement said each member would get a basic $25,000 payment and those who are Indigenous would get an additional $44,000. 

Further damages could be paid to those who experienced homelessness, psychological harm, sexual exploitation or injury, or whose education was delayed, the settlement said. 

Both Saunders and the ministry were named as defendants in the lawsuits, but the former social worker never filed a response. 

The B.C. government wasn't immediately available to comment on the plea, but it said in a statement in a settlement agreement filed last July that Saunders harmed children in the director's care and the province was "vicariously liable for the harm caused" by the man.

MORE National ARTICLES

Tories question CERB's backstage bureaucracy

Tories question CERB's backstage bureaucracy
The $2,000-per-month Canada Emergency Response Benefit amounted to "two entirely different relief programs, distributed by different government agencies and with different eligibility criteria," though seniors were never informed, Falk wrote in an Aug. 9 letter obtained by The Canadian Press.

Tories question CERB's backstage bureaucracy

Canada's vaccine stockpile tops 20 million doses

Canada's vaccine stockpile tops 20 million doses
Data on vaccine deliveries, distribution and injections provided by Health Canada and the provinces show almost 22 million doses have been delivered but not yet used.

Canada's vaccine stockpile tops 20 million doses

Meng Wanzhou's extradition hearing to start

Meng Wanzhou's extradition hearing to start
Her long-awaited extradition hearing is proceeding as courts in China prosecute Canadians whose sentencing or detentions are widely been seen as retaliation for her 2018 arrest.

Meng Wanzhou's extradition hearing to start

Mendicino, Mayorkas talk Cda-U.S. border in D.C

Mendicino, Mayorkas talk Cda-U.S. border in D.C
Monday marked the first day in nearly 17 months that U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are fully vaccinated were allowed to visit Canada.

Mendicino, Mayorkas talk Cda-U.S. border in D.C

Victim identified in Richmond homicide as Christopher Singh of Delta

Victim identified in Richmond homicide as Christopher Singh of Delta
The victim has been identified as 23-year old Christopher Singh, from Delta. Mr. Singh was known to police and had suspected involvement in the Lower Mainland gang conflict.

Victim identified in Richmond homicide as Christopher Singh of Delta

395 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

395 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
82.1% (3,805,781) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 70.6% (3,274,116) received their second dose.

395 COVID19 cases for Tuesday