Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Sep, 2021 05:18 PM
  • Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

KELOWNA, B.C. - A former British Columbia social worker accused of stealing money from foster children under his care has pleaded guilty in a Kelowna court.

The BC Prosecution Service says Robert Riley Saunders pleaded guilty to fraud over $5,000, breach of trust in connection with his duties as a child protection worker and causing the province to act on a forged document. 

Saunders faced 13 charges arising from a three-year investigation by RCMP that included 10 counts of fraud over $5,000. 

Dan McLaughlin, communications counsel for the prosecution service, says they anticipate the outstanding charges will be stayed at the completion of his sentencing hearing set for March 21. 

The B.C. Supreme Court approved a settlement last year in a class-action lawsuit brought against Saunders and the provincial government by more than 100 children who claimed the social worker stole from them. 

Several lawsuits were filed before the settlement, alleging Saunders had moved the children from stable homes in order to make them eligible for financial benefits from the ministry. 

Statements of claim alleged Saunders took the funds deposited in their accounts, leaving them homeless and vulnerable to addiction and physical and sexual abuse. 

The notice of settlement said each member would get a basic $25,000 payment and those who are Indigenous would get an additional $44,000. 

Further damages could be paid to those who experienced homelessness, psychological harm, sexual exploitation or injury, or whose education was delayed, the settlement said. 

Both Saunders and the ministry were named as defendants in the lawsuits, but the former social worker never filed a response. 

The B.C. government wasn't immediately available to comment on the plea, but it said in a statement in a settlement agreement filed last July that Saunders harmed children in the director's care and the province was "vicariously liable for the harm caused" by the man.

MORE National ARTICLES

Residents ask to return to fire-hit B.C. community

Residents ask to return to fire-hit B.C. community
The community of Monte Lake, in B.C.'s central Interior, was hit by a wind-fanned wildfire last week that chased out residents and destroyed homes and businesses.

Residents ask to return to fire-hit B.C. community

Feds create new immigration consultant regulator

Feds create new immigration consultant regulator
The federal Immigration Department said the college will open in November and will have the needed legal tools to investigate professional misconduct and discipline its licensees to root out immigration fraud and protect people wishing to come to Canada.

Feds create new immigration consultant regulator

Moderna to build mRNA production plant in Canada

Moderna to build mRNA production plant in Canada
The company has signed a memorandum of understanding with the federal government that will result in Canada becoming the home of Moderna's first foreign operation. It's not clear yet how much money Canada has offered to Moderna for the project.    

Moderna to build mRNA production plant in Canada

Feds commit $321M for residential school impacts

Feds commit $321M for residential school impacts
Justice Minister David Lametti says he will appoint a special interlocutor to work with Indigenous communities and the government to propose changes to federal laws, policies and practices that are related to unmarked graves at residential schools.

Feds commit $321M for residential school impacts

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says
In a report published this morning, budget officer Yves Giroux says Ottawa topped up expenditures on its national housing strategy by nearly one quarter for an average of $3.7 billion annually over the past three years.

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian
O'Toole also reopened the door to a Canadian boycott of next year's Winter Olympics in China, warning the Chinese government's recent actions show Canadians are not safe in the country.

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian