Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Sep, 2021 05:18 PM
  • Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

KELOWNA, B.C. - A former British Columbia social worker accused of stealing money from foster children under his care has pleaded guilty in a Kelowna court.

The BC Prosecution Service says Robert Riley Saunders pleaded guilty to fraud over $5,000, breach of trust in connection with his duties as a child protection worker and causing the province to act on a forged document. 

Saunders faced 13 charges arising from a three-year investigation by RCMP that included 10 counts of fraud over $5,000. 

Dan McLaughlin, communications counsel for the prosecution service, says they anticipate the outstanding charges will be stayed at the completion of his sentencing hearing set for March 21. 

The B.C. Supreme Court approved a settlement last year in a class-action lawsuit brought against Saunders and the provincial government by more than 100 children who claimed the social worker stole from them. 

Several lawsuits were filed before the settlement, alleging Saunders had moved the children from stable homes in order to make them eligible for financial benefits from the ministry. 

Statements of claim alleged Saunders took the funds deposited in their accounts, leaving them homeless and vulnerable to addiction and physical and sexual abuse. 

The notice of settlement said each member would get a basic $25,000 payment and those who are Indigenous would get an additional $44,000. 

Further damages could be paid to those who experienced homelessness, psychological harm, sexual exploitation or injury, or whose education was delayed, the settlement said. 

Both Saunders and the ministry were named as defendants in the lawsuits, but the former social worker never filed a response. 

The B.C. government wasn't immediately available to comment on the plea, but it said in a statement in a settlement agreement filed last July that Saunders harmed children in the director's care and the province was "vicariously liable for the harm caused" by the man.

MORE National ARTICLES

Pedestrian passes away after colliding with a garbage truck in Surrey

Pedestrian passes away after colliding with a garbage truck in Surrey
On August 6, 2021, at approximately 2:55 a.m., Surrey RCMP received a report of collision involving a garbage truck and a pedestrian in the 10600-block of King George Blvd.

Pedestrian passes away after colliding with a garbage truck in Surrey

B.C. fires front line of climate history: minister

B.C. fires front line of climate history: minister
Farnworth said a small group of residents in the Monte Lake area refused to leave their homes and had to be rescued by firefighters with the BC Wildfire Service after they were surrounded by fire.

B.C. fires front line of climate history: minister

COVID spike prompts new rules for B.C.'s Okanagan

COVID spike prompts new rules for B.C.'s Okanagan
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said the Delta variant is driving the rapid spread in the area, accounting for 80 per cent of the COVID-19 cases among those who aren't vaccinated or who have only had one shot.

COVID spike prompts new rules for B.C.'s Okanagan

464 COVID19 cases for Friday

464 COVID19 cases for Friday
81.8% (3,790,394) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 68.9% (3,195,128) received their second dose.

464 COVID19 cases for Friday

Health Canada adds Bell's Palsy to Pfizer label

Health Canada adds Bell's Palsy to Pfizer label
Health Canada says 311 patients in Canada reported a case of Bell's Palsy after getting a COVID-19 shot though that does not specifically mean the condition was caused by the vaccine.

Health Canada adds Bell's Palsy to Pfizer label

VPD warns public of string of gropings in Champlain Heights

VPD warns public of string of gropings in Champlain Heights
Between April 9 and August 1, the incidents occurred just off Kerr Street between 51st and 55th avenues between 3 and 9 p.m. Reports of the suspect’s age range between 17 to 30 years old. In all cases, the suspect is wearing sweatpants and a hooded sweater.

VPD warns public of string of gropings in Champlain Heights