Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Sep, 2021 05:18 PM
  • Former B.C. social worker pleads guilty

KELOWNA, B.C. - A former British Columbia social worker accused of stealing money from foster children under his care has pleaded guilty in a Kelowna court.

The BC Prosecution Service says Robert Riley Saunders pleaded guilty to fraud over $5,000, breach of trust in connection with his duties as a child protection worker and causing the province to act on a forged document. 

Saunders faced 13 charges arising from a three-year investigation by RCMP that included 10 counts of fraud over $5,000. 

Dan McLaughlin, communications counsel for the prosecution service, says they anticipate the outstanding charges will be stayed at the completion of his sentencing hearing set for March 21. 

The B.C. Supreme Court approved a settlement last year in a class-action lawsuit brought against Saunders and the provincial government by more than 100 children who claimed the social worker stole from them. 

Several lawsuits were filed before the settlement, alleging Saunders had moved the children from stable homes in order to make them eligible for financial benefits from the ministry. 

Statements of claim alleged Saunders took the funds deposited in their accounts, leaving them homeless and vulnerable to addiction and physical and sexual abuse. 

The notice of settlement said each member would get a basic $25,000 payment and those who are Indigenous would get an additional $44,000. 

Further damages could be paid to those who experienced homelessness, psychological harm, sexual exploitation or injury, or whose education was delayed, the settlement said. 

Both Saunders and the ministry were named as defendants in the lawsuits, but the former social worker never filed a response. 

The B.C. government wasn't immediately available to comment on the plea, but it said in a statement in a settlement agreement filed last July that Saunders harmed children in the director's care and the province was "vicariously liable for the harm caused" by the man.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver man dies after assault at Grandview Park, marking city's 12th homicide: VPD

Vancouver man dies after assault at Grandview Park, marking city's 12th homicide: VPD
Vancouver resident Gilles Hebert, 60, was allegedly assaulted by another person, rendering him unconscious. He was taken to hospital where he died from his injuries.

Vancouver man dies after assault at Grandview Park, marking city's 12th homicide: VPD

Federal Government Announces Surrey Headquarters for New Regional Development Agency for BC

Federal Government Announces Surrey Headquarters for New Regional Development Agency for BC
Pacific Economic Development Canada (PacifiCan) will be the new federal regional economic development agency for British Columbia, providing $553.1 million over five years, starting in 2021-22, and $110.6 million ongoing. 

Federal Government Announces Surrey Headquarters for New Regional Development Agency for BC

Economy added 94,000 jobs in July: StatCan

Economy added 94,000 jobs in July: StatCan
The federal agency said Friday that the job gains caused the unemployment rate to fall to its lowest level since March of this year, at 7.5 per cent for July compared with 7.8 per cent in June.

Economy added 94,000 jobs in July: StatCan

Job action fuels long lines at Canada-U.S. border

Job action fuels long lines at Canada-U.S. border
Guards who work for the Canada Border Services Agency were following procedures to the letter, part of a job action that began early Friday amid contract talks between the federal government and the Public Service Alliance of Canada's Customs and Immigration Union.

Job action fuels long lines at Canada-U.S. border

Privacy watchdog investigating federal Liberals

Privacy watchdog investigating federal Liberals
B.C. information and privacy commissioner Michael McEvoy's office confirmed the investigation today following a complaint from the Canadian Civil Liberties Association.

Privacy watchdog investigating federal Liberals

Homes lost to wildfire east of Kamloops, B.C.

Homes lost to wildfire east of Kamloops, B.C.
Hundreds of properties in communities east and west of Monte Lake were already under evacuation order, but further evacuation orders had been issued by Friday morning.

Homes lost to wildfire east of Kamloops, B.C.