Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Rainfall Warning In Metro Vancouver Leads BC Ferries To Cancel Some Sailings

    Rainfall Warning In Metro Vancouver Leads BC Ferries To Cancel Some Sailings
    Environment Canada issued a rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver with some 50 millimetres expected to drench the region on Saturday.

    Rainfall Warning In Metro Vancouver Leads BC Ferries To Cancel Some Sailings

    B.C. Education Support Staff Ratify Agreements Negotiated With Province

    B.C. Education Support Staff Ratify Agreements Negotiated With Province
    The province says the remaining seven districts and unions representing some 3,500 workers have recently signed on to their agreements.

    B.C. Education Support Staff Ratify Agreements Negotiated With Province

    UK, Canadian military and reservists leave Britain to join Ebola fight in Sierra Leone

    UK, Canadian military and reservists leave Britain to join Ebola fight in Sierra Leone
    LONDON — Reservists and troops from Britain and Canada have left for Sierra Leone to help in the battle to contain the Ebola virus outbreak.

    UK, Canadian military and reservists leave Britain to join Ebola fight in Sierra Leone

    B.C. Lions come to terms with Jeff Tedford to take over as club's coach

    B.C. Lions come to terms with Jeff Tedford to take over as club's coach
    Tedford, who played six seasons as a quarterback from 1983-'88 with Hamilton, Calgary, Saskatchewan, and Winnipeg, was named head coach of the B.C. Lions Friday.

    B.C. Lions come to terms with Jeff Tedford to take over as club's coach

    Magnotta jury continues its deliberations for a fifth day

    Magnotta jury continues its deliberations for a fifth day
    MONTREAL — Jurors deciding the fate of Luka Rocco Magnotta have begun their fifth day of deliberations.

    Magnotta jury continues its deliberations for a fifth day

    Ottawa police say arrest made in home invasion involving 101-year-old D-Day vet

    Ottawa police say arrest made in home invasion involving 101-year-old D-Day vet
    Ottawa police have charged a man in connection with a home invasion that saw a 101-year-old D-Day veteran allegedly tied up and robbed, but say their investigation isn't finished yet.

    Ottawa police say arrest made in home invasion involving 101-year-old D-Day vet