Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Massive B.C. Gold Mine Near Alaska Border Gets Environmental Approval

    Massive B.C. Gold Mine Near Alaska Border Gets Environmental Approval
    VANCOUVER — The federal government approved the environmental assessment application on Friday for the massive KSM gold and copper mine in northwestern British Columbia near the Alaska border.

    Massive B.C. Gold Mine Near Alaska Border Gets Environmental Approval

    17-Year-Old Jaylen Sandhu Dead After Attack In Surrey

    17-Year-Old Jaylen Sandhu Dead After Attack In Surrey
    The stabbing happened near Holy Cross Regional secondary school at 16300 block of 88th Avenue around 2:30 p.m. which was on lockdown for around 30 minutes.

    17-Year-Old Jaylen Sandhu Dead After Attack In Surrey

    Body Of Missing Boater Found In B.C.'s Gulf Islands A Week After Disappearance

    Body Of Missing Boater Found In B.C.'s Gulf Islands A Week After Disappearance
    SATURNA, B.C. — The RCMP say divers have recovered the body of a young man who disappeared when a rowboat he was in capsized in B.C.'s southern Gulf Islands.

    Body Of Missing Boater Found In B.C.'s Gulf Islands A Week After Disappearance

    Woman saved by pig liver 20 years ago reunites with medical team

    Woman saved by pig liver 20 years ago reunites with medical team
    MONTREAL — Mavis McArdle says she doesn't feel weird at all that a pig's liver helped save her life.

    Woman saved by pig liver 20 years ago reunites with medical team

    Regina high school exchanges Redmen nickname for Bears after consulting elders

    Regina high school exchanges Redmen nickname for Bears after consulting elders
    REGINA — A Regina high school has a new name.

    Regina high school exchanges Redmen nickname for Bears after consulting elders

    Vancouver School Board Calls on BC Government to Support Graduated Adults

    Vancouver School Board Calls on BC Government to Support Graduated Adults
    Vancouver, BC – Earlier this week the Vancouver School Board passed a motion calling on the BC Government to immediately reverse the announced cuts to BC school districts for graduated adults who plan to upgrade their courses. 

    Vancouver School Board Calls on BC Government to Support Graduated Adults