Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Obama on whether he'd consider Republican Keystone bill: 'I'll see what they do'

    Obama on whether he'd consider Republican Keystone bill: 'I'll see what they do'
    WASHINGTON — U.S. President Barack Obama spent five minutes today disparaging the potential benefits of the Keystone XL pipeline project. He then kept it alive with five words.

    Obama on whether he'd consider Republican Keystone bill: 'I'll see what they do'

    Russians face oil-sector sanctions, new travel restrictions, over Ukraine

    Russians face oil-sector sanctions, new travel restrictions, over Ukraine
    OTTAWA — Canada has once again imposed new sanctions against Russia in response to its incursions into Ukraine.

    Russians face oil-sector sanctions, new travel restrictions, over Ukraine

    Canada sending HMCS Fredericton to Mediterranean Sea over Ukraine crisis

    Canada sending HMCS Fredericton to Mediterranean Sea over Ukraine crisis
    HALIFAX — Canada is sending another one of its frigates to help a NATO maritime force aiming to provide reassurance to eastern European allies that are jittery over the crisis in Ukraine.

    Canada sending HMCS Fredericton to Mediterranean Sea over Ukraine crisis

    Edmonton authorities issue Amber Alert for 3 boys abducted from home

    Edmonton authorities issue Amber Alert for 3 boys abducted from home
    EDMONTON — Authorities in Edmonton have issued an Amber Alert for three children.

    Edmonton authorities issue Amber Alert for 3 boys abducted from home

    OSC withdraws securities allegations against former Nortel executives

    OSC withdraws securities allegations against former Nortel executives
    TORONTO — The Ontario Securities Commission has closed its investigation into three former Nortel Networks executives who were acquitted of fraud last year.

    OSC withdraws securities allegations against former Nortel executives

    No smoke: Americans still can't puff with impunity on Cuban cigars

    No smoke: Americans still can't puff with impunity on Cuban cigars
    WASHINGTON — At the cigar lounge two blocks from the White House, Cuban smokes aren't on the menu just yet.

    No smoke: Americans still can't puff with impunity on Cuban cigars