Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former Flames, challengers, shooting to score big dollars for missing boy

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Jan, 2015 10:17 AM

    Calgary Flames' alumni will suit up against a challenge team next month to raise money in the name of a five-year-old boy who is missing and presumed dead.

    Jennifer and Rod O'Brien, the parents of Nathan O'Brien, have announced the former Flames will take on sponsors, police, politicians, family and friends in a Feb. 5 fun game at the Saddledome.

    Money raised will go to the Nathan O'Brien Children's Foundation and be channelled to a number of charities.

    Rod O'Brien says he hopes the game will become an annual event.

    Nathan and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes (LIHK'-ness), disappeared from the grandparents' home in Calgary last July.

    Their bodies have never been found and murder charges have previously been laid in their disappearance.

    O'Brien says some friends came up with the idea of the game to honour Nathan.

    "At that time it was a small charity hockey game. But in the last four weeks it’s been exploding with people signing on to help and just create a once in a lifetime event."

    The event includes a "Timbits" hockey game during one of the intermissions. O'Brien says Nathan's Timbits team took part in a game between the Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes last year.

    "It was a once-in-a-lifetime event to play on the big ice with the scoreboard and the crowd, so we thought we would honour the Timbits program again this year and have a team come out and do exactly what Nathan did. All the kids just loved it. It's just our way of giving back to the program that Nathan loved."

    The foundation was established after an anonymous donor reached out to the O'Brien family in September with $1 million to set up a fund in Nathan's name.

    The family says the generous donation came from an American businessman who was touched by their story. (CHQR, The Canadian Press)

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Wynne hopes Harper doesn't have a 'vendetta' against Ontario

    Wynne hopes Harper doesn't have a 'vendetta' against Ontario
    TORONTO — Ontario's premier hopes Prime Minister Stephen Harper doesn't have a "vendetta" against the people of the province, saying the well-being of Canadians should dictate their working relationship, not his "feelings."

    Wynne hopes Harper doesn't have a 'vendetta' against Ontario

    Majority of Canadians still have holiday shopping to do this weekend: poll

    Majority of Canadians still have holiday shopping to do this weekend: poll
    TORONTO — A new poll suggests that most Canadians are procrastinators when it comes to holiday shopping.

    Majority of Canadians still have holiday shopping to do this weekend: poll

    Canada buys additional massive military cargo jet as C-17 production wraps up

    Canada buys additional massive military cargo jet as C-17 production wraps up
    OTTAWA — Defence Minister Rob Nicholson has formally announced that the air force will get a fifth C-17 Globemaster heavy-lift transport plane.

    Canada buys additional massive military cargo jet as C-17 production wraps up

    HuffPost Live files bid with CRTC for Canadian television channel

    HuffPost Live files bid with CRTC for Canadian television channel
    TORONTO — An application has been filed with Canada's broadcast regulator to add a Huffington Post channel to the English television lineup.

    HuffPost Live files bid with CRTC for Canadian television channel

    B.C. Wines Available At Grocery Stores On April 1

    B.C. Wines Available At Grocery Stores On April 1
    Attorney General Suzanne Anton says as part of the government's relaxed liquor laws, independent wine stores now have a shot at transferring their licences to grocery stores as long as they sell only 100 per cent B.C. wines.

    B.C. Wines Available At Grocery Stores On April 1

    Amrik Virk Removed As Minister Of Advanced Education By Christy Clark In BC Government Shuffle

    Amrik Virk Removed As Minister Of Advanced Education By Christy Clark In BC Government Shuffle
    Premier Christy Clark has shuffled her cabinet, moving Amrik Virk out of his advanced education portfolio on the same day an updated report revealed that the minister was fully knowledgeable about a compensation package that broke government guidelines.

    Amrik Virk Removed As Minister Of Advanced Education By Christy Clark In BC Government Shuffle